June 21, 2009

In Which Avine Invokes a Demon's Wrath

May 25, 1158

During her childhood years back in Dovia, Avine had always been the fastest little girl in the village, the only one who could consistently challenge boys to races and come out on top. Her running prowess had not faded with womanhood, marriage, and motherhood--but today, no matter how fast she ran, she felt lacked the speed of a mere babe toddling along after the lanky young men.

Not for the first time in her lengthy sprint, she prayed against all logic that Thetis was home. Thetis, she knew, always came to get Byrn before returning home, but today had to be exception. It just had to be.

Gasping for breath, Avine through herself against the door, continually pounding. "Thetis!" she screamed. "Thetis!"

It was no use; no one answered.

Frustrated, she began to pound, biting her lip so hard her teeth might have pierced through her skin. "Thetis! Oh, God, Thetis! Please be home, please! God dammit!"

Suddenly, the door flung open--however, the person it revealed was not Thetis.

Avine had never met Norwan, nor had ever had any care to, but here he was, just as Thetis had described him. He was not a large man--in fact, he was rather short--but his angry scowl, cruel eyes, and very aura made him a fierce, intimidating presence. He wreaked of a vile mix of sweat and ale, and altogether gave Avine the distinct impression of being rather troll-like. She could not fear him, however; there were far fouler things at work today.

"Who the hell are you?" he spat sourly, his voice invoking the sudden mental image of a rotting fence board with jagged, rusty nails sticking out of it from all angles.

"I--I live in the village," panted Avine, struggling to catch her breath. "I--Thetis--she leaves Byrn with me--sometimes."

Norwan barred his teeth, his foul breath seeping into the air; had Avine been in a state to be any more aware, she would have recoiled out of sheer reflex. "Can't be bothered to take care of her own son, can she? Little whore! She's in for it when she gets back, that's for sure! Now, if she shows up with Byrn again, you just tell her to get her scrawny ass back here, you hear me?"

Avine trembled uncontrollably. "I... don't think..."

"You don't what?" demanded Norwan, shoving her backward, causing her to very nearly fall into the fence. "God dammit, woman! You filthy whores have a code or what? Vile wench! Now, why the hell are you here?"

"I came to tell Thetis--"

He gave her no chance to finish. "Well, Thetis ain't here, is she? Now, you tell me whatever the hell you wanted to tell her, or I'll rip those whore braids right off your head!"

She didn't know how to begin, especially under this pressure. What should she say? Why hadn't she thought this through? Was it possible to think something like this through? "The horse... he's usually calm, I swear! Something must've startled him, it was the damnedest thing..."

"I don't give a rat's ass about any damn horse!" Norwan snarled dangerously.

Once again, Avine panicked--why hadn't she sent Bernver instead? "But if I would've thought... I wouldn't have let him... never was a tamer horse, I swear it, and..."

"To hell with the fucking horse! You start talking sense now, or God help me, I'll tear you to shreds!"

Avine couldn't hold it in any longer; as she slowly walked away, she raised her hands to her face and began to cry. "It's... it's Byrn," she wailed, her voice barely even audible to Avine herself. "He's dead."

NEXT CHAPTER:

7 comments:

Van said...

For the record, Avine is Willott's daughter.

Penelope said...

Oh no!
But what was that woman doing having a child that little riding a horse?
That's terrible. And I wouldn't be surprised if Norwan tried to do something horrible to Thetis after this.

Van said...

My bad, I should have explained that better. The way I imagined it, Byrn wasn't riding the horse. He and Avine's little daughter were playing near the horse. The horse in question is very old and very tame, but something startled it and Byrn was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

We'll see what Norwan did next post. I was originally going to have the next post be one with Norwan and Thetis, but I doubt I have the animation boxes for it. Very few are base-game compatible :(

Phoenix said...

Oh no!! *cries*

Thetis loves her kids. What the heck is she going to do now? I didn't see this one coming at all Van! *shakes head*

And yeah, that's how I pictured it. Him being ran over...maybe toddling somewhere and like you said being in the wrong place at the wrong time!

God, Norwan is so VILE! He makes me want to throw up and sock him a good one!

Van said...

You won't have to wait long to see what Thetis does.

I've probably committed a literary sin by creating a character as irredeemable as Norwan, but... he serves my purposes better as he is. With what I have planned for him, I can't risk people sympathizing with him or anything.

Verity said...

Oh man! That sucks. Poor litte Bryn. And poor Thetis. This is going to be a terrible blow for her. She is going to feel like it was her fault too, for leaving him there. :( :( :(

Van said...

I still feel rather bad about killing Byrn, three real life months (and four Naroni years) later... but he grew up to be absolutely ridiculous. Like, I can deal with weird sims as long as their looks are within the realms of plausibility, but alas, Byrn's were not. As an adult, he looks like he's trying to eat a banana sideways, and I don't have Uni, so no plastic surgery :(

And then of course, there's what it did to his poor mother... but I do kind of wish I had kept him around, but... eh, you'll see.