June 16, 2011

In Which Xeta's Levity Is Restored

January 10, 1175

"...and if you end up stopping in Naroni on the return trip, I would advise spending the night at the castle with the king and queen. Surely a group of pious crusaders deserves only the finest of accommodations, and I'm afraid that we here just can't offer them."

Xeta might have laughed had Sir Domingo's mere presence not robbed the room of any potential for levity. Pawning unwelcome guests off onto royalty... only her father-in-law would have thought of that. Or, so Jadin's stepmother's glares seemed to imply, maybe it had been her idea. The king and queen did make a point of belittling her every time their paths crossed. Maybe this was Nora's idea of subtle-yet-just revenge. Not that Xeta really cared either way; whatever got Sir Domingo out of her life forever was fine by her.

Luckily for her father-in-law, however, Sir Domingo didn't seem wise to the ruse. "I believe I will. I must say, my lord, that I am most unimpressed with your household and would prefer to avoid your lands in the future."

"Thank God," muttered Jadin under his breath. Xeta nodded in accordance. Nora bit her lip as if trying not to scowl.

Hardly even trying, Severin rolled his eyes. "Shame. Out of curiosity, what did you find made you more uncomfortable? Walking in on my parish priest feeling up one of the scullery maids in the chapel last night, or the fact that today's breakfast conversation was for all intents and purposes a penis joke contest? By the way, I believe your nephew Bernardo clinched the title with his last one."

Sir Domingo crossed his arms and spewed forth an obnoxious harumph!. "I find you both vulgar and offensive, sir."

Severin shrugged. "There are worse things one can be than 'vulgar' and 'offensive'."

"And that is where we disagree." The knight gave an obligatory nod, then turned on his heel and strode toward the door. His footsteps sounded so much more pleasant when they were heading away. "Well, the boys should be done saddling up our horses now. I would say 'fare thee well', but frankly I do not wish the sentiment upon you."

Behind his back, Nora made a rather rude hand gesture. Severin smirked and Jadin nearly burst out laughing; even Xeta had to grin. "Good fucking riddance."

Domingo returned the curse with a glare. As far as Xeta was aware, it was the only time he'd acknowledged Nora's existence all morning. "I would advise you to make a lady out of your wife!"

Before Severin could respond, the knave was out the door, out of sight and hopefully out of mind before long. If Xeta's father-in-law had been at all disappointed about not having the final word, the feeling didn't linger long.

"Well, whatever God he's questing for is the God I'm going to spend the rest of the day thanking for his departure. Now, I wonder if Vera's managed to wake Riona yet; it's nearly midday and the silly girl hasn't even had breakfast."

NEXT CHAPTER:

9 comments:

Van said...

Unfortunately, we here in Readerland haven't seen the last of him yet :S

Alix said...

Uh oh. I sense a stowaway. Riona the Crusader?

Van said...

That does sound like something she would do.

Anonymous said...

How do you stow away on a horse? *scratches head*

But yes, I do have a feeling we will get a bit of Riona the Crusader. :)

... And for the record, if I wasn't so worried about Roderick and Laralita's daughters (who suffer enough in life just having those two idiots for parents), I would say to PLEASE send Sir Domingo to Roderick and Laralita! And let us watch! Oh, the hilarity!

... Can Florian be staying the night too? *puppy eyes*

Van said...

XD

Yeah, I can't imagine life is easy for Roderick and Laralita's kids--unless they're just as bad or worse. Really, the only one who's given us reason to suspect otherwise so far is Mona.

Heheheh... if Domingo found Severin insufferable, then I can't imagine how he'd take to Florian XD Sadly, I can't imagine Florian getting invited to stay at the castle any time soon, partly because Roderick and Octavius are still on bad terms and partly because Roderick didn't like Florian even before that happened.

Penelope said...

Oh goodness, what WOULD that royal visit be like? I feel like if Roderick had a problem with Domingo though, he would have no qualms about sending the whole lot of them packing.

Runaway Riona is an interesting theory. I just assumed she was still in bed avoiding everyone.

I would say 'fare the well', but frankly I do not wish the sentiment upon you.

I think you mean "fare thee well". I can has karma? :D

Van said...

A royal visit would probably be... err, interesting :S

She could very well be doing just that--sleeping in just for the sake of never having to see Isidro again ;)

D'oh! *gives karma* Thanks Pen :)

S.B. said...

I just about choked over Severin's response! I guess he's not afraid of the jerk LOL! What a creep that man is.

And how perfect, to fob him off on the royals. I hope they enjoy his company. Nor do I blame Riona for sleeping in, IF that's what happened.

Van said...

Heheheh :P

Domingo is pretty slimy. Luckily for Severin and Co., though, it'll be a while before they have to see him again, if ever. Some other people (such as we on the other side of the computer screen) might not be so fortunate.

Wouldn't it be great if the royals and Domingo just annoyed each other into submission? :P