June 12, 2011

In Which Ren Ends a Damn Good Year

December 24, 1174

"Sure hates his blanket, doesn't he?" The silly boy had only been in bed for about an hour or so and already he'd kicked his covers to the side--never mind the fact that it was Christmas Eve and winter's chill was at its peak. But he'd done so for most of his young life, regardless of the weather, and had always been a model of good health--a fact which, given the boy's paternity, came as a great relief to Ren.

Not that she didn't have enough to feel relieved about, even all these months later. "His papa does that too."

"It's the insulating factor." Searle took her by the hand and gave it a gentle squeeze as he stared down at their sleeping son. In spite of her mounting fatigue, Ren found herself smiling. It hadn't been all that long ago when Christmas with her boys had seemed out of the question, but here she was--with Karlspan, with Searle, just the three of them.

All three of them. "Never die."

Smirking, Searle turned to face her and ran the side of his free hand down her face. His skin had once been dry and rough, but now it could have been their son's hand if not for the size of it. "I won't if you don't."

"Fair enough."

Her husband chuckled, then shot one last loving glance their son's way. The little mite fidgeted; Searle gave a sigh of content. "You know... except for the first bit, this has been a damn good year. I'm glad it's almost over, though. Next year will be even better."

It was like Searle to think he could will such things. Ren reached forward and pushed a strand of hair out of his face. It was nice to see his eyes so bright. "You think so?"

"I know so."

NEXT CHAPTER:

6 comments:

Van said...

I figured it would be nice to end 1174 on a short, drabbly note--especially since 1175 is set to be a loooooong year.

Penelope said...

I am intrigued by the number of faces I don't recognize in the preview. :o

Anonymous said...

It's DON LOTHARIO, comin' to Naroni!

... Oh, right. There was a chapter here. ;)

That is one awfully sweet family. :) I really, really like how you ended this year -- Christmas Eve with the family that's probably been through the most this year.

And I really hope that Searle is right that "next year will be even better" -- i.e., you're not planning to kill off Ren and/or the baby, right? Right?!?

Van said...

Pen: Stay tuned and you'll find out soon enough. We'll be seeing a lot of these guys this next while ;)

Morgaine: Heheh. I see you recognized my contest entry (would you believe I actually had him lying around prior to the contest? That was a lightning strike of good luck for me).

Don't worry, Ren and the baby are both going to be fine. The little girl's already been born in-game :)

S.B. said...

Oh this was so sweet. I love those two together, and I don't blame Searle for his determination to will things to go well.

LOL I never recognize the premades! Is that really a version of Don? He always looks so different once you strip that gawdawful pompadour off his head.

Van said...

I think all things considered, Searle's determination is understandable.

"Don" is the one in the red. I used him for a breeding experiment (the guy in front was the result), and then ended up using him for a conveniently-themed contest at The Keep.

Yeah, not sure what Maxis was thinking with that hair :S