April 10, 2011

In Which Severin's Interest Is Sparked

August 7, 1173

"Well, I'll be damned!" A blond, nightgown-clad form launched herself into Severin's arms, the door swinging shut behind her. "My favorite brother-in-law!"

"Out of a group that includes two kings? I'm flattered." He kissed Renata on the cheek, then straightened his neck to look at her. These Sadiel girls, it seemed, just go prettier and prettier with age. How was it that she was all of forty-two? She could have passed for one of her own daughters. "Good to see you again, Renata. It's been far too long."

"That it has." She tossed her head, a blond lock swinging behind her shoulder. "Thank you for sending my sons back in the spring, by the way. I know it meant the world to Arkon to see them all one last time."

"No trouble at all." It was obvious that it had meant the world to Renata herself as well--her children and grandchildren, even those two young to ever remember much of Arkon now. But every person had their time, and the sheer quantity of it mattered little. The only measure of life was something far greater than years. "I'm sorry for your loss."

Renata's teal eyes disappeared behind their lids. It had been nearly three months now and she was likely out of tears, but the somber glaze over her pretty face was a sob in itself. "I appreciate it--but I doubt you came all the way from Naroni to tell me that, especially considering that you sent a letter with the boys."

Severin sighed. Renata was a clever woman, but he'd hoped to be subtle. Perhaps he still could be if he played the right cards. "How are your daughters holding up?"

"My daughters?" Left hand to right elbow, she inclined her head, her pouty lips visible even from the obscure angle. "They're all right, I suppose. The older two have their own families to take care of, at least."

The older two... at least... That left three unaccounted for. The youngest, he knew, was only a toddler--but the other two were Conant's triplets, and since Conant himself would be getting married at the end of the month... "I see. And the others?"

She shrugged. "To be honest, it's a little up in the air right now. Alina's still young, so I'm not too worried about her. Arkon and Searle were discussing the idea of either Lettie or Ramona for Searle's brother Ietrin, and I imagine Abrich will finalize it, but I'm not sure what to do with the remaining one. Ramona might be content in a nunnery, but it figures that she's the one Ietrin seems to prefer; I can't imagine Lettie could ever set foot in an abbey without being branded a heretic."

Well, that was certainly interesting. "Oh?"

"Do you recall our correspondence from last year? You were analyzing the first chapter of Romans and bouncing your ideas off of me?" He nodded. A fond smile like a ray of sunshine through the cloud of her melancholy, Renata took to twirling a strand of her around her finger. "She loves biblical controversies, so I let her read what you wrote. Later that evening, she put forth a theory about David and Jonathan being lovers."

Interesting indeed. "Did she, now?"

"And at the dinner table, no less--while her grandparents were visiting."

"You don't say."

"Oh, but I do."

Lettie... he'd have seen her at the royal wedding two years prior. He hadn't spoken with her--he couldn't have spoken with everyone--but he recalled a spirited redhead with a clever smirk and a scandalous neckline. He hadn't given her much thought since, but now... "How old is she, again?"

"She turned sixteen in June." Renata leaned back and looked him over, a funny sort of spark in her eyes. They were not quite so dark a teal as Tarien's, but the light was the same; he'd never thought he'd be happy to see such a thing. "Don't you have a son around that age?"

It was a question he'd been asked on many occasions, but it was the first time he actually felt like answering. "Searle? Yes, he'll be sixteen in September."

"You don't say."

"Oh, but I do." Perfect. He'd only been gone a week and he already had a lead on a pretty, clever, suitably blasphemous young woman. As far as he could see, there was only one problem now.

But Renata was quick to take care of it. "Would you like to meet her? I'm sure she's still awake, combing over Ruth and Naomi for hints of sapphism."

That did it. He was actually going to pay his tithes this quarter. "Renata, you've read my mind."

NEXT CHAPTER:

11 comments:

Van said...

I'm actually kind of shocked that I managed to get an update up tonight. I have an exam tomorrow and one the day after, the latter of which is the more study-intensive one. So I doubt I'll be updating IFV tomorrow--it's possible, but not likely.

But it looks like my break time is almost over now, so I'm going to take a quick shower, preemptively scrounge around for some caffeine, and hit the books again.

*sigh*

Epi said...

This chapter really made my day (which is saying something as I'm recovering from a car accident overt the weekend). It really put a smile on my face.

Van said...

Car accident?! Oh my God! Are you okay? I hope no one was seriously hurt :S

I'm glad you liked the chapter, but... yikes! :S Wishing you and any others involved a relatively quick and easy recovery.

Chene303 said...

Blasphemy at the dinner table? Talk of gay sex infront of the grandparents? Scandalous necklines? I like this girl! When can we meet her?!

I think Searle will like her too. And if she's anything like I imagine she'd be more fascinated then disgusted or insulted by Searles preferences.

Chene303 said...

Also: Just read the other comment. Are you okay, Epi? No one was hurt, right?

Anonymous said...

Car accident? Oh, no! Hope you and everyone else are ok, Epi!

And ... wow, this girl seems almost tailor-made for Searle. (Almost, seeing as she is, in fact, a girl, and Searle seems to still like Sparron.) Especially with all the Biblical contraversies. If nothing else, she and Severin should get along very well!

Hope your exams go well, Van!

Van said...

Chene: We'll be meeting Lettie very soon ;)

But yeah, something tells me that she and Searle are going to get along just fine. She and Sparron, maybe not so much.

Morgaine: All things considered, Searle is still very much in love with Sparron--he just doesn't want to be. But hey, the door that swings both ways swings twice as often :P

(Okay, probably not really, but you know what I mean.)

And yep, I imagine Severin has found a new heresy buddy.

Thanks :)

*sends virtual cookies Epi's way*

Penelope said...

I know I'm not caught up yet but OMG SEVERIN LOOKS SO HANDSOME IN THAT!! *endcaps* So I had to read it. :p

hehehehe "suitably blasphemous". This girl sounds like she might be a bit of a fireball for poor, sweet little Searle. I don't know if he could handle her.

"But hey, the door that swings both ways swings twice as often :P" LOL Van!! What does that mean?!?!?

Van said...

I figured that it was August and Severin needed some cooler traveling clothes than his usual athletic wear (namely, chain mail and leather)... but yes, he does wear that outfit rather well. I just wish we got some better shots of him here.

Funny how he was talking about Renata's graceful aging, considering that he doesn't look too bad for forty himself (granted, that might be because the only thing I've changed about his Sim since he was twenty-freaking-three is his hairstyle).

Heheh... as for whether Searle can handle Lettie... I guess we'll see? :)

That's just some off-color hintage as to the direction of Searle's love life. He's been monogamous with Sparron so far, but we've had some evidence towards his liking girls as well, so...

S.B. said...

I wanted to wait to read this until I could see your shots. So glad Photobucket finally started working again!

Severin is such a total jewel.

I hope they tell the girl, whoever they pick, what she's getting into. That's not likely to happen though, is it? I wonder too if Searle can handle Lettie. Maybe he'll find an interest outside of Sparron. That might be best for both of them, poor kids.

Van said...

I was definitely worried about the shots for a while :S

We'll be seeing Lettie soon, so I guess we'll find out whether Severin told her the truth about Searle or not. But yeah, having someone other than Sparron might be good for Searle, at least. Not so sure about Sparron; at this point, I can't really think of any plausible way to make him happy :(