April 28, 2011

In Which Searle Is Flung

January 3, 1174

Searle had once overheard Ietrin confide in Leara that he found the baron rather terrifying. Up until now, Searle hadn't believed him--but here the man was, intruded upon in his own home at a difficult time, face unfathomable and eyes inscrutable, every ounce the unpredictable nightmare Ietrin made him out to be. "Haven't seen you around in a while."

It was almost an accusation. He'd been a lousy friend and Sparron's father knew it. He should have ridden over the day Camaline had told him. He should have tried to figure out what was keeping Sparron's family occupied earlier. Hell, he should have called months ago, just to give Sparron those little reminders--that he loved him, that things didn't have to change. He could have fanned the flames at any time, but instead he'd let the fire die.

"I'm sorry, my lord. I should have come earlier."

The baron's stare seemed to say he shouldn't have bothered coming at all. "He's well enough now--for the most part."

"Can I see him?"

Perhaps it had been a presumptuous question; 'for the most part', after all, was not a 'yes'. Sighing, the baron turned around and stepped toward the couch, setting himself at the center of it. "Sit down, Searle."

He did as he was told. He was confused and betrayed and the last thing he needed was to make an enemy out of someone on a similar quest for answers. "Sir?"

The baron's hazel eyes vanished behind their lids. It was several long breaths before they returned. "Did you know that you're the only one of his friends who still puts up with him?

"He never used to be so troubled, you know. He's always been a little neurotic and somewhat obsessive, but he was a happy enough boy until you two started spending so much time together."

The reigns of Searle's heart gave a sudden tug. It halted and reared and flung him flying, and this was the moment when his head hit the tree trunk. "Sir..."

"I'm not blaming you." The baron placed his hands to his knees and slid himself forward, eyes fixed on a grain in the flooring. Searle knew what it was to study the hardwood. Sometimes, dark flecks were all that kept one sane. "I just want my son to be happy again. I want to know what's going on and I want to understand it."

In that case, he wanted too much--but Searle didn't have the heart to say that, especially not when Sparron's own lip was pouting toward him. "Searle, I'm going to ask you this and I'm only going to ask it once: do you know what's troubling him?"

Searle shook his head. "No, my lord." The lie was out of his mouth, but its aftertaste would linger. The baron wasn't the only one who wished for Sparron's recovery, but the man's own uninformed state was the only thing keeping Searle's best-beloved from going off the deep end. One day, perhaps, he would know and understand, but that day was not in this lifetime.

But if the baron suspected a lie, he didn't mention it. "I see. Can I trust you to inform me if you figure it out?"

It was a cruel world indeed if the collision of two loves meant the destruction of a soul. It was even crueler if the only things that held those forces at bay were lies. "I'll keep you posted, sir."

NEXT CHAPTER:

8 comments:

Van said...

This is technically last night's update. It was finished last night, and I don't like to sit on posts if I don't have to, but I go to post and--oh, what'd'ya'know, Photobucket's down >:(

But at least I have nothing to do today except waiting around for a call from my boss, so... *runs off to have breakfast and get started on Pen's drabble request*

Penelope said...

AAAHHHHH!!! MY DRABBLE REQUEST!!!!!!

*dances around the room*

This chapter made me so sad and then the drabble request made me so excited-- The last few moments have been a roller coaster of emotions. DRABBLLEEE!!!

Sparron. :(

And I am frankly surprised that Octavius hasn't guessed the truth. Unless he has guessed the truth and refused to let on or brushed the thought aside. Even the preview pic is sad!

Ach, I have to go/host to a dinner party tonight for work. But I will be back and stalking you.

Van said...

I do have an idea for the post. I made the extra Sims this morning and now I just need to stretch them. I may miss your target entirely, though--I guess we'll see?

Sparron. :(

The truth might have crossed Octavius's mind at some point. Maybe it's just not a conclusion he wants to make without undeniable proof.

Have fun at your party! :)

S.B. said...

I'm kind of with Pen here. I'm surprised Octavius hasn't guessed the truth. He's dancing all around it but does not see it. Poor man.

And Searle...finding a way to respond without responding. He is really getting squeezed.

Lovely, lovely writing!

Van said...

He might suspect something on a subconscious level. Or maybe he's consciously guessed at it but wants to prove himself wrong? I don't know.

But yeah, Searle is stuck in a tough corner here :(

Thanks Beth :)

Anonymous said...

Ok, I tried to comment yesterday, but Blogger was being a pain in the arse. Let's see if it works today.

Sad. :( Sad, sad, sad. My offer of cookies and a hug has now been extended to Octavius.

On the one hand, yeah, Searle should have come around to see Sparron earlier ... on the other hand, I can totally understand why he didn't. Sometimes procrastination is what keeps you sane.

And that conversation ... :( Poor Octavius. I'm not sure if I agree with everyone else that he must know what's going on, but he'd be dumb if he didn't suspect that Searle has something to do with it. And ... I wonder if he believes Searle when Searle says he doesn't know. If he doesn't, he's certainly doing a great job of hiding it.

But don't let Octavius become Scary Octavius on Searle! Searle doesn't deserve it the way Ietrin does! ;)

Anonymous said...

Ha! Took two tries, but it worked this time!

Van said...

Blogger can be so ridiculous :S

I think Naroni just needs to establish a National Cookie-and-Hug day.

Octavius does seem to have connected Sparron's sudden change in demeanor to Searle. He might have some secret suspicion, but he might not. He's a smart enough guy, but parents do tend to have blind spots where their kids are concerned.

As for whether or not he believes Searle, I'm not sure he does. I don't see Searle ever getting the Ietrin Treatment, though. Even if Octavius does think that Searle is the root of all of Sparron's problems, he's clearly not malicious or even carelessly apathetic.