April 1, 2011

In Which Searle Gets a Last Chance

May 7, 1173

Searle squirmed his way out of his brother's embrace and looked him over. It hadn't been quite two years since the royal wedding and he appeared rather the same as always, save for one notable difference. "I'm taller than you."

"Perhaps, but you're still my little brother." Abrich stood on his toes and ruffled Searle's hair; he pretended to be annoyed. "And, as such, you shall always be known as 'Shorty'."

He felt his nose wrinkle, but he chose to otherwise ignore the comment. It was so rare that he got to see his brother that he didn't want to ruin the occasion with an argument. "Anyway, what brings you to Naroni?"

At once, his brother's face fell from levity to an unfathomable seriousness, as though he had just been reminded of some terrible mission. A moment or so passed, the tension growing with it. The pit of Searle's gut turned to stone. "Abrich?"

His brother nodded toward the couch. "Let's sit down."

Not giving Searle a chance to reply, Abrich lowered himself into the far seat with the pained, sloth-like movements of a man four times his age. Not sure if he wanted to hear the sort of news that could make a geezer of a man only four years his senior, Searle hesitated for a moment before joining his brother on the couch. "What's this about?"

Abrich sighed. "It's Father."

The stone within his core shot up to Searle's throat, its jagged edges etching scars into the tissue and its frigid surface turning his very spit to ice. Was his father... dead? Dying? Surely his mother would have written if--

"It came on so suddenly," Abrich muttered as if reading Searle's thoughts. "There was an outbreak in the castle. Father got sick. So did Odette, and Ramona and Delia and a handful of servants. The girls are fine, and the servants as well, but Father..." He didn't finish. He didn't need to.

Searle pulled himself out of his slouch and locked eyes with his brother. The details were sparse, but he had just one question. "Is he alive?"

"Yes, but the healers don't think he'll make it to June." Abrich's fingers shook as he fiddled with the strings of his pouch. He looked frightened and anxious and alone, much like a lost child. Searle wanted to make it better, but he couldn't. He was a lost child too.

"Abrich..."

"I've already been to Armion for Conant," his brother informed him, not giving him a chance to finish the thought--not the worst thing, considering he had no thought to finish. "And to Veldora for Karlspan. Jadin and Xeta said they'd take care of your lands if you and Valira and the girls wanted to come back to Dovia and see Father one last time."

One last time. He was not sure how he would pass this news onto his wife. He was not sure he could take his three young daughters on a long journey and expect them to understand that they'd never see Grandpapa again. He did not know if he had the strength to sit at his father's bedside and watch him die.

But then again... this was his father. He'd scarcely seen him since he'd been sent to Naroni at five, but they'd written, exchanged gifts, laughed and cried whenever they visited. There would be no more letters and no more gifts, but if there was a chance for a last audience, then damned if he didn't take it.

It was the last chance. It was his father.

"We'll leave first thing tomorrow."

NEXT CHAPTER:

10 comments:

Van said...

1) Remember in the old days when I used to devote posts to the deaths of people we'd barely even seen and then never mention it again? This isn't that. This will have something to do with something else.

2) I hope you all got some great pranks in today. I had my mom thinking that I was switching from Creative Writing to Pre-Med XD

The best part? After I told her I was kidding, she told the same thing to my dad and two of my aunts! We don't always get along, but daaaaamn my mom surprises me sometimes.

3) Sorry about the mysterious lack of banner. I noticed that earlier today when I went to check my blogroll. At first I supsected Imgur, but then I noticed that the CutandPasteScripts button was missing, so I checked Gayl's blog and saw that her banners were missing too (she also uses CutandPaste to generate random banners). A trip to their website confirmed it--down.

I hope this isn't a permanent thing, or I'll have to find some other banner host :S

4) My spine is on fire! Okay, not literally, but it hurts. Damn twenty-four hour virus! >:(

5) I still call my little brother "Shorty", even though he's at least half a foot taller than me.

Van said...

Oops, forgot:

6) If any of you have any questions for the Storyteller Spotlight, you have all weekend to get them in. All questions will be answered and appreciated, even slightly silly ones like "How many kids do you think Lonriad Sr. has?"

Chene303 said...

Damn, time flies in Naroni! I usually have to go back a few chapters to know how much time has passed between events but when he said 2 YEARS since the wedding I didn't believe it at first!
How long has Searle been in Naroni anyway? And when did he get married? I don't remember hearing about it but I could be (and probably am) wrong. lol

Anonymous said...

Uh-oh. Is Severin about to have another sister-in-law wind up on his doorstep? Renata's too old to be pregnant, right? Right? (And surely she has more brains and less annoyance factor than Laralita ... right?)

Still, this is awfully sad, and poor Searle. :( The girls probably are too little to understand that they're seeing Grandpa for the last time, but Grandpa will at least get to see them.

And Wordpress pulled a good April Fool's Day prank on me! Told me Albion got 800-odd views. I'd already blurted out "Holy s***!" before I moused over the graph and saw the "April Fool's!" bit.

You seem to have pulled a doozy of an April Fool's, though. Good for you, Van!

S.B. said...

I knew this was coming, but it is still extremely sad. I'm glad Searle Jr will pull himself together and make the trip to see his father. He deserves the effort.

I didn't know about the problem with the random header until you mentioned it. Our main story blog header is borked, too.

Van said...

Chene: Yep, the royal wedding took place in September '71--January 2011 in our time :S

Searle's first appearance--February of '58, when he was just a little kid. I originally brought him in because A) Raia and Lorn and them were all toddlers and I wanted someone a little older around and B) he was just so damn cute.

But anyway, Searle and Valira got married in November of 1167. We never saw the wedding, and we actually haven't seen Searle since before it (we saw Valira once after that, though), but the relationship got a little mini-arc just before Alina died.

Morgaine: Renata's not coming to Naroni, although we will be seeing her very soon. But unlike her sisters, she and Severin get along great. They're very much on par with each other.

The girls probably won't realize the significance of the visit and it's likely that only the eldest will even remember it, but yeah, at least Arkon will get to see them.

Heeee... I didn't log into Wordpress yesterday. Maybe I should have XD

Thanks Morgaine :)

Beth: Searle can be a bit selfish, but his heart is in the right place and he does have gumption if he chooses to use it. His father will be glad to see him one last time.

A quick Google search tells me that code-tweaking might be necessary if CutandPasteScripts doesn't come back :(

Joseph said...

I've said it once and I'll say it again. Your updates put me to shame.

Hoshit 2 years/3 months since the wedding? That was a quick 2 years/3 months.

I wish I'd logged on to Wordpress too. I probably wouldn't have noticed though. I never check my stats. Ha!

And I know it's a bit late but happy april fools. By the sounds of it, you've had a good one. I would've done something similar but no one needs a half hour lecture from their mums about pranks on a friday. Ugh

See ya
Joseph

Van said...

Heheh :S

I'm so bad for checking my stats, both on Blogger and Wordpress. It just never occurs to me.

Awww :( Here's hoping for a Lecture-Free April Fools' next year? ;)

Joseph said...

Ha! At least Facebook is an alternative for April fools.

I'm statistics mad on Blogger for some reason. Don't know why. It still excites me when I get a page view. Stupid I know but there it is.

(If you've got a minute, there's this feature on Lothere called a chat room. We're talking about Nazis at the minute. Seriously.)

Van said...

Fair enough :P

I wish Blogger had had statistics when I first started, since I'm sure they would have excited me too. Nowadays, though, I'm too used to not knowing to actually remember that the feature exists :S

Ack! Why are there always people in chat on days when I'm in and out of my apartment and running around like a headless chicken? :(