March 12, 2011

In Which Ietrin Ponders the Future of His Masterpiece

November 9, 1172

Until two days prior, Ietrin had never understood all the fuss about babies. They were cute--fine. When they weren't wallowing in their own filth, they smelt rather pleasant--fair enough. But what else? Yes, they might grow into heirs some day, but in their infant state they were altogether useless and a burden. They bawled and screeched at every opportunity, and if they ever fell silent, it was only because they sleeping. They wreaked havoc on the female form and produced much more waste than could have been expected from such small creatures. They cost time and money and energy, and never made any effort to repay that investment--not even by shutting up for five minutes in order to let one recover from the inevitable headaches.

But somehow, little Kaldar was different.

Maybe it was because he wasn't a particularly cranky baby, or maybe it was because he actually seemed to have some idea that the universe did not revolve around him and his constant needs. Or perhaps it was just those wide violet eyes--Ietrin's own eyes, taking in the world, staring back at him from beneath wispy hints of Ellona's dark brows.

He'd made this baby. They had made this baby. This was their masterpiece, their magnum opus; he was the product of their love and living proof of such. He'd be a handsome man, this son of theirs--a smart man, a worthy man. Kaldar had been birthed quickly and with relative ease, large and healthy, among the strongest Goodwife Diarn had ever delivered. Surely such a thing was a sign of greatness to come.

And to think--come March, Ietrin would have two sons! He'd never envied men with two sons--sure, it was nice to have a spare lying around, but what to do with him if he wasn't needed?--but now he was beginning to see the appeal. Although, perhaps the fact that they would have different mothers had something to do with that. Jeda's son would be king after Ietrin, and Kaldar would have Ellona's lands--it was as simple as that. Now, what to do with a third son...

"I take it you want to hold him?"

Jerked back to earth, Ietrin's gaze darted up to Ellona's face; her narrowed eyes and curling mouth gave her a look of half-amusement. "Here, take him; my arm is a little sore."

He felt his smile widen as she placed their son in his arms. Ietrin didn't have much experience holding babies; he had young siblings, as well as a four-month-old nephew, but he'd never really bothered with them, choosing instead to wait until they became interesting. Kaldar, however, was already interesting, already worthy of his time. It was incredible just how natural holding him came. "Hello, baby. Did you miss me?"

A bit of drool dripped from Kaldar's mouth as Ietrin raised him to his shoulder. He almost didn't notice. "Soft silk, isn't it? Almost as nice as Mama's pretty velvet."

Ellona snorted. "Christ, Ietrin, he's two days old; he doesn't give a damn about fabrics."

"No, but he will some day. He's going to have to know and care about what every great man knows and cares about." A great man--that was what he was holding. Kaldar wasn't just some snivelling baby; Kaldar was a son of kings. "We have a lot to teach him. We might as well start now."

NEXT CHAPTER:

11 comments:

Van said...

Off the top of my head, I can't recall who Kaldar looks like more, but I remember being pleasantly surprised. Also, considering who his parents are, that little Sim has a shocking amount of nice points.

Anonymous said...

So ... two nice points, then? ;)

Aww, darn it. Ietrin was almost cute here. I almost warmed up to him.

Oh, well, I can still squee over the baby, can't I? The baby can't help who his parents are. And you got some great shots of the baby looking adorable!

Now, I just have to hope that Jeda's baby is a girl, since Ietrin seems to have decided it will be a boy. He deserves a comeuppance.

Van said...

It was a good effort, but I'm afraid Ietrin will have to do more than just coo over babies in order to redeem himself :S

I can't remember off the top of my head how many nice points any given ancestor of his has... but somehow, Kaldar ended up with like, seven :P And he is pretty cute there. Geneva's eyes are always cute on babies (actually, Jeda's baby has been born in-game and it got Geneva's eyes too).

My lips are sealed as to the sex of Jeda's baby (although I very nearly spoiled it with a telling pronoun when I was typing the paragraph above XD). You'll find out soon enough ;)

Joseph said...

I'd be ooing and aahing (not sure how you spell aahing) over Kaldar if I weren't thinking "what about Jeda?" cos I like Jeda

Van said...

Poor Jeda really does get the short end of the stick here :(

Epi said...

I just realized I haven't commented in ages! Whoops.

Anyway, I have been keeping up and it is quite nice to see Ietrin cooing over the baby, but I wonder if he will be as starry-eyed for Jeda's mite?

Van said...

No worries--I've been kind of slipping in my commenting on various things too :S

As for how Ietrin will feel about Jeda's baby... well, I guess we'll find out soon enough, for better or worse.

S.B. said...

I'm reading this at 5 am and you gave me goose flesh with that phrase. A great man. Ietrin has a way to go to bring his son up to that level, and there's Jeda's baby. Perhaps the greatness comes from the mother.

Van said...

I think Ietrin has a way to go before he can bring himself to that level :S

As for any greatness and where it might be coming from, all will be revealed in due time. Funny that you should mention Jeda's baby, though ;)

Thanks, Beth :)

Chene303 said...

I think you made me like Ietrin. Just for the moment though, I'm sure he'll turn back into a smelly old pumpkin at midnight.

Van said...

I love that metaphor :D

Thanks Chene :)