February 21, 2011

In Which Asalaye Learns of a New Floor

May 15, 1172

Asalaye's sister Nanalie was of the industrious, domestic sort that could rarely be found without a broom or a needle and thread in her hand, balancing dishes in the crooks of her elbows and one eye fixed on the oven. She never had suitors because she rarely left the house and was even plainer than Asalaye herself, but she would have no trouble fetching a husband for the simple reason that she'd make a good wife; surely she'd been a good mother to the rest of them after their mother had died and before their father had married Avine.

But now that their father had married Avine--now that Asalaye had a mother-figure--she didn't see why Nanalie had to be taking her sweet time finishing the dishes while Cord was here. "Uh, Nan? Some time today would be great."

"Sorry, this stain just won't come off." Nanalie lifted the last spoon from the basin and flashed it toward the couch; Asalaye saw nothing but perfect, spotless wood. "You see? This is why you wash your dishes as soon as you're done with them."

Asalaye turned to Cord and rolled her eyes; his snicker was almost worth her annoyance. "What makes you think it's my spoon?"

"Because it always is." She set the spoon on the counter and sighed. Even Nanalie got to the point where she could no longer scrub, but as if she'd ever admit it. "You can dry it yourself. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go and make the beds--because no one else in this house ever does."

Jesus Christ, again with the beds? Of all the pointless chores she could have been nagging about! "You do that, then."

"I will--and no funny business. I'll be able to hear you, you know."

She shot them one last warning glare, then marched past them and hurried up the stairs. Asalaye watched out of the corner of her eye as Nanalie's skirts vanished from view, then turned to Cord and gagged. "Dear God! I'd have more freedom living in convent!"

Cord gave a sheepish smile. "She is rather nun-like, isn't she? I take it she doesn't get many callers?"

"Not unless you count dirty dishes as callers." Asalaye narrowed her eyes and groaned. She didn't like talking about her sister, but for some reason, it was hard to stop. "You know, I kind of feel sorry for her. I think she won't leave me alone because she's jealous. I'm younger, and now I've got you calling, but she's never had anybody."

"It'll happen for her." He turned to face Asalaye and chuckled. "Maybe she'll meet some nice, overwhelmed widower with six kids."

"Or an old man who wants someone to make sure he stays comfortable as he slowly dies."

"And also cleans his house!" She nearly choked on her own laughter--God, how nice it was to have a sweetheart who was just as funny as he was handsome, even if his nose was almost as unfortunate as her own. Actually, now that she thought about it... would he have given her a second glance if he'd been blessed with a nose like Lonriad's? "I'm sorry, maybe that was a little rude. We probably shouldn't be talking about your sister like this."

And he knew when to stop too! "What do you want to talk about, then?"

Grinning, he slung his arm around her shoulders and nudged a little closer. "Well, it might interest you to know that the plans for my new house have been finalized."

"Really? So soon?"

He nodded. "And I'm adding a second floor. I have a little money saved up, and Sir Tarien said he'd help cover the difference. Isn't it great? We're finally going to have a second floor!"

We? He must have meant himself and his family... right?

In either case, she launched herself upwards and landed squarely in his lap. "It's wonderful, Cord. I just hope your second floor is nicer than ours--it's nothing more than a loft, really."

"A loft doesn't sound so bad." He lifted his hand from her side to tapped her on the nose; she wished it was possible to withhold a blush. "At least the kids can't fight over the best bedroom that way... but I was thinking maybe a three bedrooms upstairs? One for my mother and grandmother, and then my siblings can sleep in the other two while they're still living with me."

"I see." Feeling somewhat annoying, Asalaye smirked. "And what if they decide they'd rather keep living with Sir Tarien?"

Laughing, Cord leaned in and kissed her on the cheek. "Then I guess I have the whole house to myself."

NEXT CHAPTER:

3 comments:

Van said...

Nanalie's hair must be one of the least aesthetically-pleasing meshes out there... and yet, it suits her so well :S

Anonymous said...

I find it makes for good swimwear/workout clothes hair. Everything's all tucked out of the way, so it won't get tangled, and if it doesn't look so good ... well, whose hair does look good after swimming or working out?

I do have to wonder, though, about Asalaye thinking about Lonriad even when Cord is sitting right in front of her. Or below her, as it would happen.

However, it does look like Lonriad is going to have to get a move on if he wants a chance at Asalaye! Sounds like Cord has already picked out which bedroom is going to be hers! ;)

Van said...

True, it would make a good swim hair. I can't imagine it looks too flattering on most Sims, though :S

Asalaye thinking about Lonriad is pretty suspicious. She probably thinks about him a lot--you know, because he's so annoying and so horrible ;)

But yeah, Cord seems to have started making plans. It'll be a while before he's ready to actually marry anyone, though (and she's a few years younger than he is, so he'll have to wait a while in any case).