December 10, 2010

In Which Raia Has to Know

February 7, 1171

"How did you get in here?" Falidor's words were mumbled and barely coherent, and other than a hasty glance, he hadn't even looked at her. It was like he was trying not to address her, even though there was no one else in the room. Like he was talking to a ghost--like he wanted to believe that she wasn't even there.

And yet, if only to prove her presence, Raia felt compelled to answer. "I have a spare key."

From his place on the couch, Falidor sighed, though he continued looking forward. "Figures."

The stillness of his frame was unnatural--not a twitch or rustle so far as she could detect. She wished he would stand, slouch, tap his boot, anything, but no; he sat in conscious petrification, much like a statue if only statues might think. She didn't know how much longer she could last, just watching and waiting. She scurried past the dinner table and into the living area, cementing herself in front of him. If this had become a battle of wills, it was not one she cared to forfeit. "Look, you can't just ignore me for two months and expect me to take it lying down."

At last, he moved; it was only a slight turn of the head, but at least it was something. "Raia..."

"Don't you 'Raia' me." Why was he making this so difficult? Yes, he was a married man--and yes, he was only a gentleman and she was his lord's daughter--and yes, she couldn't call herself an expert on such things--but she somehow got the sense that a kiss like that wasn't meant to rot in the memory's obscure reaches like the details of some dull conversation. "You've been avoiding me for long enough and we need to talk--and we will talk, whether you like it or not."

Weary, Falidor wrung his hands together; Raia couldn't help but notice that he'd discarded his wedding band. "Your father will kill me if he ever finds out."

Raia groaned inwardly. She had not come for his excuses. "Do you want me?"

His eyes widened; she had to marvel how even in such dim light they could remain so blue. "What?"

"Look, I just have to know." Raia crossed her arms and stared at him. She and her two youngest sisters had all inherited their grandmother's thick lashes, but so far, she was the only one who had learned to put them to good use. "Do you want me or not?"

He looked up, his gaze washing over her as if trying to see past her, to determine where she ended and where the rest of the world began. She did not think she had ever been looked upon like that before; she did not think she could say she disliked it. "So much."

"Then my father should be the least of your concerns." She took him by the hand and pulled him to his feet. At her age, she was already taller than most women, but she doubted she'd ever be quite so tall as Falidor; he wasn't exceptionally big, but he was still a man. She wondered how it had taken her so long to notice that. "My father knows what it is to want someone you aren't supposed to have."

"So idiotic desire is a sacred thing to you, then?" He gave her hand a gentle squeeze; it was refreshing to feel his touch without that searing ring to mar it.

Raia nodded. "It's the sacred thing."

Sighing, Falidor released his hold and let his arm fall to his side. "I guess I can't argue with that. Still, people will be talking if word ever gets out."

She shrugged. "And if it doesn't, they'll find something else to talk about. Just to hell with them, all right? Forget about people talking--what do you want?"

"I already told you."

He looped his arm around her waist and pulled her nearer, his hand resting at the small of her back. He kissed her on the cheek, then exhaled, drumming his fingers against her opposite shoulder blade. "When did you get to be so beautiful?"

A small laugh escaping her, Raia smiled. "I could ask you the same question."

Falidor smirked, then tossed back his head and sighed. "This is so wrong."

Undaunted, Raia edged nearer, her body pressing further and further into his until she could at last rest her head on his shoulder. She nudged down his collar and nipped him softly on the neck, just as she had often seen stable boys and young guards brand their sweethearts before returning to their posts--and who was to say it was wrong for her to do so? "I don't care."

NEXT CHAPTER:

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww, those two are so cute!! Yay for Raiador! :D

And -- and -- Searle with Eilyssa?? Please tell me that doesn't mean what I think it means! *bites nails*

Van said...

The more I see of these two, the more I like them. I guess we'll just have to see how the whole thing plays out :)

Now now, Searle could have completely innocent motives for visiting Lyssie. She is his first cousin, after all.

J A Murphy said...

From the moment of her birth Raia has known what she wanted and what she needed to do to get it - obviously something she hasn't grown out of and I truly hope she doesn't!

I can't imagine Severin will be over the moon, but he knew who she was giving her house to and he's not completely daft so I wouldn't be surprised if he already has an inkling. And as Raia says, he knows what it is like to want someone you're not supposed to have.

Interesting family dynamic though, with her stepmother being the younger sister of her adulterous lover *lol*

Van said...

That's true. Raia's always been able to find ways to get what she wants, and she rarely goes back on her decisions. Hopefully she'll keep that determination as she gets older :)

Severin probably finds the whole situation at least somewhat suspicious. If he does, though, he's keeping his mouth shut about it--but like Raia said, it's not like he can't understand at all.

Heheh, Raia's having an affair with her step-uncle. If they ended up getting married, that could lead to some interesting introductions at some point--"Hi, have you met my stepmother? She's also my sister-in-law." :P

Ann said...

Awwwws, you go Raia!

They look so cute! She's exactly what Falidor needs to get out of his Fail-ways. They could be really really good together. I hope they'll sort everything out.
Severin probably won't be overjoyed, but he'd better be understanding or I could imagine Alina might come haunting him. ^^

But somehow I keep having the horrible feeling that it'll be Raia whose name will be drawn. T-T That would be so horrible!

Of course there's always Tavrin who might somehow manage to save her. Or maybe Falidor will come to the rescue! But still...

I devotely hope my feeling will prove wrong!

Van said...

She's pretty much exactly what he needs--someone with gumption of her own, but not someone who'll take complete advantage of his doormat nature :)

Her father probably won't be too happy about this in the short-term, but I imagine he'll get over it.

As for the draw... stay tuned... :S

S.B. said...

Well...he took off his ring. So he was sitting there prepared, in some kind of expectation which I just adore! Those two are so wonderful together: Raia is not only forceful, she's loving and she's sensible. Perfect, perfect match. Except for all the problems of course...

hoping you find some way to make it work!

Van said...

The ring is definitely telling. It's not the first time I've played up on the symbolism of a wedding ring, and it probably won't be the last ;)

Thanks Beth :)

The Lunar Fox said...

Aw, I'm finally all caught up. It's sad, but I'm glad to end on this entry. It is like things have come back around in this way. "So idiotic desire is a sacred thing to you, then?" Ha, yes, and probably to anyone else who love Severin and Raia.

I love seeing these two together, but I can't help thinking that this can't end well. There will probably be some consequence to their actions.

Van said...

Yaaay! :D *cue party music*

Yeah, however far these two end up pushing the line, they're bound to piss off somebody along the way. I guess it's just a matter of time at this point :S

Thanks, Lunar. Glad you're enjoying so far :)

eclectictsunami said...

Oh, man, I am frighteningly invested in these two. I had a *dream* about them a couple weeks back. About an extremely elaborate Bollywood-type outdoor wedding. o_O

Therefore I had to comment with a HUZZAH! Let them get together, Van! For my sanity!

Van said...

A Naroni dream? Wow! Even I haven't had one of those yet o_O

Stay tuned--just because these two will probably have some obstacles doesn't mean they can't overcome them ;)

Penelope said...

D'awww. And you know what? I think Severin would probably burst a blood vessel when he found out but then would later be okay with it. At least Raia doesn't want some hot-headed rogue of the kind that I would imagine her wanting (but maybe that's just me). It's Falidor. Safe, doormat Falidor.

Van said...

You may have a point there, Pen. As weird as it would be for Severin to think of Raia and Falidor as a couple, he was probably thinking she'd fall for someone a hell of a lot more dangerous. I guess we won't know for sure until he finds out.