July 3, 2010

In Which Falidor's Question Is Not So Profound

June 20, 1167

"And this one here is Senwick," Falidor introduced the infant as he held him up for Lord Severin to see. The baby's blue eyes widened at the sight of this stranger, much like his cousin's had minutes before; Falidor didn't think either of the two babies appreciated the company, but he was just relieved that his lord had was finally getting out of the castle. Apart from the occasion of the duchess's wedding, Lord Severin hadn't been outside the keep walls since they had buried Lady Alina. "This one is Ailede's. He's a few days younger, but we averaged the two birthdates and have been feeding people that one."

Lord Severin nodded, studying the baby's face with a likely-feigned interest--that broken apathy never left his eyes. "They do look quite a bit alike, though. Same hair, same eyes... if I didn't know better, I'd believe the whole twin story."

Falidor lifted the baby to his lips and kissed his tiny forehead. "Well, they're cousins, after all. Since he died before my family ever came here, we've been telling everyone that they look like my father."

The older man sniffed. "Funny--it seems to me that they both look like my father."

ne brow raised, Falidor glanced down at the baby in his arms, then back at Orrick in the crib. Baby features, he knew, could be deceiving, but sure enough, there did seem to be a slight resemblance. "When was he here last, exactly?"

Frowning, his lord shrugged. "Around this time last year, perhaps? Late June, early July?"

"Well, Orrick was born in late March, and Senwick in early April, so... oh."

"Indeed."

Shaking his head, Falidor flashed Senwick one last smile, then lowered him into his crib. "All right, time for your nap, little blue-blooded baby--say goodbye to your big brother, now."

He stroked the baby's face and watched as his little eyelids began to droop. After about a minute or so, Senwick had settled into his slumber; grinning, Falidor stepped away from the crib and sighed. "They're such good babies, both of them. All my children are--and they are my children, you know, no matter who fathered them."

"I can't argue with you there," Lord Severin agreed, his unfocused eyes darting among the stray toys littering the floor.

"But I'll admit--and perhaps it's a little selfish of me--that it would be nice to personally sire another one some day," Falidor ventured, his first glimpse of Fenrick and Riala flashing in front of him yet again. "Do you know what it's like to know that you'll probably never hold a baby and look down at him and see your own eyes staring back at you again?"

It had seemed a profound question as he'd said it, but only after he'd finished did he remember just who it was he was asking. Of all the stupid things to say!

Lord Severin stared at him for a few agonizing seconds, his gaze both unfathomable and only too clear. "You know, I really should be heading home--now."

NEXT CHAPTER:

8 comments:

Keri said...

Oh poor bumbling Falidor. Hillarious that the two babies are Severin's younger brothers, haha! Severin's dad sure gets around!

I sure hope Severin starts to feel better soon. I breaks my heart to see him so unhappy.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Falidor! Falidor, Falidor, Falidor!! I still heart you very much, but, GAH!! Dumb thing to say!

(And now I almost typed FAILdor!)

Still, he has a good heart, and had he said something like that to Severin a year ago, Severin probably would have joked about it being a relief. Severin certainly doesn't need any more kids.

And hmm ... is that an angry Raia I see? Might she be talking to a young naked man? ;)

Phoenix said...

I know all too well the feeling of asking a question only to realize that you probably shouldn't have! Blah! Poor Falidor!!:(

And Lord! Severin's dad is a trip! He needs to STOP HAVING BABIES!!! Especially since, ya know, he's such a deadbeat! You figure he'd have learned how to make sure he didn't leave any more kids behind by now!

Poor Severin!:(

Van said...

Keri: The way they both go around, I figured it was only a matter of time before Lonriad and Ailede hooked up :P

Unfortunately, Severin's probably not going to be feeling better for a while--and even when he does start feeling a little better, he probably won't be quite the same :(

Morgaine: Heheheh... maybe I should just rename him "FAILdor" :P

He does have a good heart though, and if his timing had been better, then I could totally see Severin brushing it off like that. "Yes, I do know that feeling. It's called 'relief'!"

He doesn't need any more kids, to be sure... but if he ends up getting married again, chances are he'll have some, unless his bride turns out to be completely infertile.

And yes, that's Raia. She looks a little different with her hair out of her face.

Phoenix: We all put our feet in our mouths from time to time, to be sure. Falidor is obviously no exception :P

Haha, Lonriad... I have a small list of womanizers that I randomly draw from whenever a pregnancy of uncertain fatherhood comes up. When I rolled for both Ailede and her sister, they both got Lonriad (and I'll admit I purposely kept trying for babies with his hair and eyes--Ailede had like eight blonds before I got the black-haired baby I needed!)

Lonriad forgets to pull out quite often :P Or maybe at his age, he's just proud of the fact that he can still get it up and wants to take full advantage XD

thewynd said...

Ouch! Has Falidor had any babies that are actually his? I seriously want to smack some sense into that boy...he really needs to man up and take control of his life.

I was quite amused that the babies were Lonriad's and I imagine Severin would have had quite a bit to say had he been feeling himself.

Van said...

Gayl: The nine-year-old twins, Fenrick and Riala, are actually Falidor's. So that makes two of his wife's five kids (the baby in the crib, Orrick, is actually her very young sister's son--they're pretending he's Senwick's twin in order to save face) :S

Yeah, if this had taken place in happier times, I'm sure the notion that the kids were Lonriad's would have merited much more of a response from Severin... :S

Beth: Falidor's got his heart in the right place, but he's not the sharpest tool in the shed, that's for sure :S

Severin seems to be in some sort of limbo. He's not even sure anything's really real at this point. He might almost expect to wake up in his bed to find Alina beside him, alive and well--and then find himself disappointed when it doesn't happen.

Penelope said...

They aught to call him Fallidor Smoothy-Talk'n Wythleit.

But why do I find it hilarious that those are Lonriad's babies? It is so not cool. Yet so funny. :D Lonriad really knows how to pick 'em.

Van said...

It's a wonder that Falidor can even walk, what with his feet in his mouth all the time.

Don't worry, I find it hilarious too :) I laughed like a goon when they both rolled him up as the father.

Lonriad will sleep with any woman who is willing to have him. If some poor girl was to get rejected by Lonriad, then she might as well just give up and join a convent.