May 11, 2010

In Which Alina Invokes the Obscure Sobriquet

December 24, 1166

Alina would not cry. She had been sure to get the tears out of her system before--alone--and had then spent the better part of an hour pacing about the bedroom, lecturing and chastising herself into a state of controlled mock-calmness. She would not cry. She could not afford to cry.

Swallowing, she stepped into the study, quick to shut the door behind her. "Sevei?"

Severin's head lurched upward at the sound of the ancient pet-name. It had gone unused for so long that Alina herself was too young to recall it, but Ovrean had told her that in happier times, Lonriad had taken to calling his young second son by a Germanized diminutive as a reference to a journey to Bavaria on which he and King Farilon had once embarked. It was on this journey, according to Ovrean and confirmed by Viridis, that Lonriad had met Laveria.

The name had vanished with his parents' romance, but as it breached her lips, Alina could tell that it still held some sway over her husband. It seemed odd, perhaps, to think of a time when his otherwise-tempestuous childhood had been so blissfully untroubled. Perhaps its invocation had taken him to a peaceful place; if that was the case, she was either kind to grant him a brief sanctuary, or cruel to send him there only to tear him from its pastures. "Alina? I thought you had retired early."

"You'd be wise to do the same," she reminded him. "We have a long ride ahead of us tomorrow. I can't even remember why we agreed to spend Christmas with Roderick and Laralita."

"I'm inclined to believe that we were both moderately drunk at the time."

She forced herself to laugh, but found she could not mask its hollow void. "That would make sense."

He turned toward her and frowned; he must have picked up on her forced contentment. "Princess, what's wrong? Are you still feeling nauseous?"

Alina shook her head, cringing at the mere mention of 'nausea'. It was strange to think that she missed it.

"Is there something you need? Is the baby keeping you awake?"

She had told herself she would not cry--so sternly, she had promised herself she would not cry.

But she did.

"I lost it!" she wailed, the moisture bursting through the dam of her lashes. "I--I don't even know how it happened! I just went to change for bed, and..." She trailed off, any words she had wiped away as she brushed aside the tears.

Severin drew nearer, tucking her hair behind her ear as he reached to massage her neck. "Alina..."

"I'm sorry, Sevei," she addressed him once more, though she was unsure as to why she might seek comfort in someone else's obscure sobriquet. "I don't know what I did..."

He pulled her close and allowed her to rest her head on his shoulder. "It was nothing you did, Princess. Sometimes, these things just--"

"Yes, but not to me!" she sobbed, jerking her head forward so suddenly that her brow ground against his chin; she scarcely even noticed. "Severin, what's happening? I had seven babies in seven years, and now two miscarriages in three months! Am I drying up?"

Hesitating for a moment, he wrapped the fingers of his free hand around her own, a gentle pressure clinging to her bone where their wedding bands met. "No, of course not. Maybe... maybe you didn't miscarry. Maybe you were never even pregnant to begin with--maybe you were just late?"

Alina couldn't decide whether that would have been a preferable scenario, but she supposed it was a moot point. "Severin, it's been like clockwork since I was twelve; besides, I know when I'm pregnant."

He sighed. "There's nothing wrong with you, Princess. Trust me; you'll be cradling a baby again before you know it." He sounded somewhat indulgent, but she would allow him that; some small part of her had feared that he might have been relieved.

Struggling to hold back tears, she sought refuge in his arms. "Can we go to bed? I just want you to hold me while we sleep."

If I can sleep tonight.

NEXT CHAPTER:

11 comments:

Van said...

Guess what my brother gave me as a "Welcome Home" present? A head cold. Thanks a lot, bro >:(

In other news, this Onion article reminds me of Lonriad.

Anonymous said...

LMAO @ the article!! It's Welsh Lonriad! (... Did Lonriad ever go to Wales, by any chance? ;))

But poor Alina. :( Two miscarriages in three months, yikes! (Though does she know that after having a miscarriage, you're supposed to wait before trying again?)

And not only that, they have to spend Christmas with Roderick and Laralita ... oy. This is not going to be a very good Kemorin Christmas, is it?

On the positive side -- couch-jumpers! Woot!

And I hope your cold feels better soon, Van. Get lots of sleep and take lots of DayQuill. ;)

Van said...

I know, hey? Alas, I doubt that Lonriad has ever been to Wales, and this character was about three centuries before his time... but maybe he came to the France/Spain area, knocked up a noblewoman, and a common ancestor of the Dovian nobility was born? That would explain both Lonriad and Geneva, as well as every other male in Lonriad's direct line (his father, grandfather, etc. were all just like him, as is Rudolphus and I suspect young Sidwein will be too when he gets past the cootie phase).

She might have been told that by Laveria or Arydath or someone, but Alina's always been very eager. All of her kids (well, except Raia) where conceived within a few months of the birth of the previous one, but I think the medieval recommendation was to wait for longer than that. After finally getting Severin to agree to have another baby, she probably wanted to waste no time.

Christmas with Roderick and Laralita is probably best taken with a lot of alcohol :S I bet their guest bedroom has a statue, too ;)

Alas, Jadin and Sparron there are pretty much just background noise in the next chapter, but given the context, I figured that they would be in the room at the time and I saw the couch and figured "Eh, why not?" :P

Thanks Morgaine :)

Penelope said...

AAAAAHHHHH! "As the poets often wrote, 'He got more arse than a chamber pot.'" And I died.

Hm. Is Alina starting to despise Severin a little bit? I don't suppose that he is relieved by all of this. It was a little spiteful of her to think so.

Van said...

That article made my day yesterday :)

I wouldn't say she's starting to despise him, exactly. She is a little bit resentful of him in some ways, I think, but I don't imagine she's aware of it. She still loves him, but all this fretting about getting pregnant has rendered her somewhat neurotic; if she was in a better state of mind, I think she would have realized it was irrational to think he would be relieved.

Phoenix said...

Awww!! I kinda feel bad for Alina but then again maybe she should take this as a sign? I don't know! *sigh*


Oh Lord! Christmas with the King. Fun times, fun times...not really!:P

Keep better soon Van!:D

Van said...

I have to wonder if that thought about the sign has crossed her mind at all. If it has, then that would have to be another big worry for her :(

Christmas with Roderick had better come with a very, very good meal, I should think :P

Thanks Phoenix :)

S.B. said...

I feel extremely sorry for Alina. Given who she is and what's expected of her, and what happens to women who don't produce children, and her own emotional reaction to the miscarriages, it's difficult to read. Of course she's irrational and confused.

And placing them both Roderick and Laralita for Christmas??? OMG.

Head colds are horrible. Take care of yourself!

Van said...

I imagine a miscarriage is a horrible thing to go through even when one isn't so prone to postpartum complications, so I do think she can get a way with being irrational here. She's very troubled right now :(

If nothing else, I guess Roderick and Laralita might take her mind off of it with their combined powers of ridiculousness. Seems somewhat doubtful, though :(

Thanks Beth :)

thewynd said...

My heart goes out to Alina. She finally gets Severin to agree to another child and now she can't sustain the pregnancy. Talk about adding fuel to the fire eh? I can definitely see how this would be hard for her to cope with.

Loved that nickname for Severin. So endearing to hear her use it.

Feel better Van!

Van said...

The situation has definitely gone from bad to worse here. A miscarriage would be an ordeal for anyone, but when one has so many pregnancy-related problems to begin with? The poor girl really should've been born in a time where postpartum depression was both socially acceptable and treatable :(

Alas, we will probably never hear anyone call him that again, unless Alina wants a certain reaction out of him at some point (or maybe if his relationship with his father drastically improves).

Thanks Gayl :)