April 24, 2010

In Which Laralita Takes Her Turn

September 17, 1166

"You're late!" Laralita exclaimed as she launched herself into her brother's arms. "I haven't had you to myself in weeks, and you make me wait! How typical of a brother, really!"

Ovrean chuckled, giving her a gentle pat on the back. Much to Laralita's dismay, he showed no discernible sign of remorse--men. "I'm sorry, dear sister. You see, I had a meeting with Lorn this morning, and just as I was leaving, I ran into Celina. We ended up having the most agreeable conversation, and I'm afraid I lost track of time... but I'm sure you'll find it in your heart to forgive me, Lali."

She sniffed. "Don't call me that."

Her brother shrugged. "Father does."

"That's because he's a senile old man," dismissed Laralita. "But anyway, you can't mean to say that you dare keep a queen waiting for a good two hours on account of a mere duchess, can you?"

"I can if said queen is my kid sister!" he teased, leaning in to kiss her on both cheeks. "Besides, the poor girl's had a rough year, and you're all so isolated out here; she could use a few more friends right now, I think."

She knew he hadn't meant it, but he sounded almost accusatory. The nerve of him--it wasn't as if she hadn't been a friend to Celina. She was quite fond of the duchess, she really was... but it seemed to her that such a shy lady would have found comfort in boundaries. "I figured she needed some space; she always was rather quiet."

He ushered her onto the couch and collapsed beside her, shaking his head with a defiant grin. "Not if you catch her alone, she isn't; she's really quite the conversationalist. She's very clever, and she has this way of making you feel like you're the most important person in the world when you're talking to her. Never in my life has anyone had me hanging onto every word like that, not once!"

Laralita giggled. "Oh, you silly boy! If you like Celina so much, then why don't you marry her?"

Ovrean laughed; meanwhile, Laralita was stricken by her own hasty comment. She'd meant it as a joke--some childish comeback she must picked up from Elhina or Riona--but as she considered the idea, she found herself smiling. Perhaps she hadn't been enough of a friend to Celina during this difficult time... but what friendlier gesture was there than the gift of a husband? Besides, after Severin and Alina had spun her in Roderick's direction, wasn't it her turn to play matchmaker for some other poor unfortunate?

"Well?" she pried as a few too many seconds of silence passed. "Seriously, why don't you?"

Her brother sighed. "Lali..."

Laralita glowered at him. "Ovrean, I am a queen--if I ask you not to call me by our little brother's childish mispronunciation of my name, you are obliged to obey. But really... why not? Don't you find her pretty?"

"She's beautiful," he assured her, "but Dalston hasn't even been dead a year yet; I imagine she's not finished mourning him."

Good Lord--he truly was oblivious to all things courtship. It was no wonder that he was still a bachelor, really. "Oh, Ovrean... I didn't say just now, dear! Wait until you feel she's ready--or, if you like, I could try to find out for you," she offered, cringing in delighted anticipation. As much as she loved Roderick and her children, she did miss being able to get out of the house and gossip with the other women every once in a while; this would give her the perfect excuse to do just that. Oh, it would be almost like being young again!

Of course, it might have been too much of a stretch to expect him to be initially cooperative. "Laralita, really..."

She raised an eyebrow; what was it now? "If she's beautiful and clever, and doesn't have a dreadful personality, then what could possibly be wrong with her? How could you not want to marry her?"

"What I want is not the issue," he insisted. "I just can't imagine that someone so magnificent would ever look twice at a man so unremarkable as myself."

"If you're talking about ranks now, bear in mind that she's only a duchess in name now that her son is duke instead of her husband," Laralita reminded him--how was it that of all the siblings who could have been with her in Naroni, she was stuck with the two who struggled with the basic concept of social hierarchy? "She's a count's granddaughter, and nothing more; you, dear brother, are another count's son. She could do much worse than you."

Ovrean shook his head, the toe of his boot nudging the throw-rug in front of them. "We could both be children of kings, or we could both be peasants; the fact of the matter is that brilliant, radiant women don't settle for creaking middle-aged men."

Laralita wrinkled her nose. "Middle-aged? You're only about half a decade older than her, if that."

Her brother looked away, his eyes settling on little Ramona as she played with Noah's ark. "The years weigh more heavily on me; she doesn't seem a day over twenty."

"Twenty is still old enough to marry a thirty-nine-year-old."

Ovrean bit his lip as he faced her once again; she'd always thought him a confident man, but it seemed that this was not the case. "Not old enough to want to, I don't think. If she would have me, I'd be delighted, but I really can't see that happening. She could do much better than me."

So he was just afraid of Celina's rejection. Ridiculous, really; why couldn't all men be such daring risk-takers as her Roderick? Oh well--at least Laralita could be certain that she herself had the best of the lot. "Well, I hope you realize that if you don't ask her to marry her, then it's only a matter of time before someone else does. And honestly... would you rather take the chance while you can, or watch the days fly by until it's too late and all you can do is wonder if she might have possibly had you?"

Ovrean's finger twitched. "Can we talk about something else now?"

So he was retreating from this battle. Oh well--she'd get him back on track later. Meanwhile, she pursed her lips and considered other potential conversation topics. "Hmm... do you happen to know where Alina and Severin keep that statue I gave them? I always look around for it when I'm there, but I can never seem to find it. I do hope nothing happened to it--the poor darlings would have been devastated!"

NEXT CHAPTER:

11 comments:

Van said...

Sorry if this wasn't up to scratch; I've been swamped for the past couple of days, and it got to the point where I just wanted to get something up :S

Anyway, extras will have to wait, because I have to be up early so the rental company can repossess my fridge without fining me for fridge theft. Now, I'm a lot of unpleasant things, but if there's one thing I'm not, it's a fridge thief--and it's going to stay that way. I really should have been in bed hours ago, but you know how it goes sometimes.

S.B. said...

I just adore this! I watched The Importance of Being Earnest again last night, and Laralita reminds me forcibly of Lady Bracknell...

Poor Ovrean....

Anonymous said...

Laralita, DON'T YOU DARE! Celina and Ovrean would be an adorable couple, yes (assuming he doesn't have any nasy skeletons in his closet that haven't come to light -- like an illegitimate child by Geneva?), but it's still too soon! Give the poor woman some space!

Also: "[W]hy couldn't all men be such daring risk-takers as her Roderick?" Laralita, honey, step AWAY from the hallucinagenic mushrooms. ;)

Great update, Van, hope your exam(s) went well!

Van said...

Beth: I love that movie :)

I had a bit of trouble with Laralita in this post. She was much sillier in her other appearances, but on the other hand, I suppose that was just when she was doing as she pleased (or thought she was doing as she pleased)--she could be a little edgier and forceful while being the one pulling the strings.

Thanks :)

Morgaine: I agree. They would be cute, but Celina needs more time to just be alone with her children. Maybe Laralita's just thinking from her own experience--she married Roderick less than a year after her first husband died, and they were engaged for a few months before--but she and Celina are both very different people in very different situations.

Heheheh... what Laralita perceives as Roderick taking risks would be what everyone else perceives as him being dismissive or even oblivious of said risks :P

Thanks :) The exam went okay. I another one on Monday, then the last on Thursday.

Phoenix said...

Ahhh...I was hoping something like this would happen. Well, I was hoping that Ovrean would take the bull by the horns so to speak. But ah well. I knew he was kinda shy deep down!:P

Oh wow...I love how Laralita thinks of Roderick. She's so blind to his faults. Seriously. Here;s hoping she doesn't screw things up by trying to be a matchmaker! O_o

LOL at the statue comment! Hope all your exams go great!:D

Van said...

He is kind of shy, and more than a little insecure. He does seem to have something of a thing for Celina, but he's the type to just go for it, even if she hadn't been recently widowed.

Laralita is like another side of Roderick. She's as blind to his faults as he is... but they're happy.

Thanks :)

Van said...

**errr, meant to say "he's not the type to just go for it". Of all the words I could have missed!

Penelope said...

Heh. Heh heh heh. THE STATUE! It is gone but not forgotten.

Oh goodness. Would not want Laralita matchmaking for me. He's better off to just march up to Celina himself.

Van said...

The statue is like one of those infamously bad TV shows :P

Yeah, matchmaking seems like one of those things that someone like Laralita should never attempt, ever. It might be interesting to see what she and Roderick end up doing for their children, actually, since none of the three of them have been promised to anyone just yet. Her kids with Karlspan are all matched up, but Roderick's are fair game as of right now. Hmmm....

thewynd said...

I have fallen so far behind on everything...slowly catching up. I love how Ovrean calls her Lali and that it bothers her. I sear there were never two people more perfect for each other than Roderick and Laralita. It's sweet that she wants to play matchmaker. And LOL at that last remark about the statue!!

Van said...

No worries. Take as much time as you need :)

Thanks. The idea of Laralita being embarrassed of a childhood pet-name was difficult to pass up :P

If there is a single pair of soulmates in this story, it's Roderick and Laralita. Those two were made for each other... which is just as well, because there aren't many others who would tolerate either of them :P

Thanks Gayl :)