December 1, 2009

In Which Dalston Follows a Rusty Odor

March 2, 1164

"So, let me get this straight," choked Dalston between chuckles as he followed Severin down the slope and into the edge of the forest, "you've been dragging me around the kingdom all day just because of a tip from your eight-year-old daughter? For an indulgence, you're sure taking this seriously--going soft in your old age?"

Severin sent a brief glance his way, a spark of annoyance in his brown eyes. "Let me remind you that you are two years older than I am--and I'll have you know that this is no indulgence. A tenant expressed a concern, and I am therefore compelled to take it seriously."

Dalston sniffed; the concept made sense from an administrative standpoint, but there had to be some bias here. "A tenant who just so happens to be your little girl, that is."

"She knows better than to send her father on a wild goose chase just for her own amusement, Dalston. Good Lord, I hope you don't think your own children would do anything like that; I'll have you know for a fact that they're all much better behaved than any of mine are."

Well, that was certainly believable. Dalston and Celina had the most well-behaved children of everyone they knew--and of course, they wouldn't dare think it if everyone they knew hadn't told them so in the first place. However, it did worry him somewhat that his children were so unfailingly, almost blindly obedient, and while Lorn was not the worst of them, he was the one that made Dalston the most anxious. Would the boy be able to step up and take charge come the morning Dalston did not rise? If he was to be honest with himself, Dalston wasn't sure; in some ways, he might have breathed easier if Lorn had always been something of an unruly scamp.

"Does that smell like blood to you?" asked Severin, interrupting Dalston's thoughts as he proceeded further into the gully.

With a frown, Dalston stopped, allowing the rusty odor to waft into his nostrils. "You know, now that you mention it, it does."

The other man took a moment to scan the area. Dalston watched as his lip curled inward; he had found nothing. "I'll do a quick search of the area. You try to find the source of that smell, all right?"

Dalston nodded. "All right."

He continued along the slope's plateau for a minute or two, his nose guiding him further into the woods. The putrid aroma was growing stronger by the second; any moment now, he would see what it was. Perhaps a stray cat, or the remains of a rabbit or squirrel, or...

"Uh... Severin?" he called, unable to peel his eyes from the gruesome sight. "You'd better come see this..."

NEXT CHAPTER:

12 comments:

Van said...

As anyone also reading Ashelia has already been informed, one of my friends will be staying with me from Friday afternoon to Sunday morning, so there will be no updates for any of my stories on Friday or Saturday. Sunday is a maybe, but I'm not promising anything.

Now, since I feel better if I keep as many people as possible in the know in regards to my absences, my updating order is going to be a little weird in order to inform any lurkers I might have on any of my blogs, if I actually have any. Now, updated two stories today, this one and Ashelia. Tomorrow, I plan to update IFV as per usual, but on Thursday, there will be a new THIV instead of a new Naroni. In order to compensate for this, I will post back-to-back Naronis some time after Sunday morning.

Also, next two posts will be longer than this one and the one before--promise :P

Penelope said...

I'm surprised that people are just being picked off like that instead of being wiped out end of the world style.

Have fun, Van! I'm having visitors at the end of the week too. Good times!

Penelope said...

I think Blogger ate my comment! Poop!

*testing*

*testing*

Van said...

That would be a rather abrupt, borderline let-down ending :P

Not to mention... for all we know, there's just four of those guys left, after having eaten the rest of their kind or something. I don't think they could take all of the Dovians at once :P

Have fun, Pen! :)

Phoenix said...

Would the boy be able to step up and take charge come the morning Dalston did not rise?

For some odd reason that sentence just struck me. I loved the turn of phrase there Van!:)

He sure is calm to have found a dead body! Do they maul them or just snack? I'm just saying!:P

Have fun Van!:D

Van said...

Ooooh, I'm glad that didn't go unnoticed! Nice catch :)

I imagine he would have been freaking out more if it was someone he knew. But yeah, how they killed him... they strangled him first (the cause of death on the family tree is listed as "suffocation"), then ate a few chunks of him as a warning. As we'll see in the next post, he was still identifiable.

Thanks Phoenix :)

thewynd said...

OK. I knew they were going to find Bernver or what remained of him but I freaked out at the thought of Dalston contemplating his death and Lorn's ability to step up when I realized he was walking alone. Then I REALLY freaked out as in "Please don't let him be a salty Dovan snack!" Oh man that was scary...

Van said...

Heheh, nope, Dalston is fine for now :)

I think Lorn would be more prepared to step up than Dalston thinks, but fortunately, we don't have to worry about that just yet.

Emmy said...

And I'm all caught up!

You're not going to like that, Severin. Poor random dead guy.

Van said...

Yaaaay! *cue party music*

Heheh... Severin actually knows the random dead guy too. We'll see that in the next post.

S.B. said...

I'm going to echo Phoenix's comment: I love that sentence! Wonderful and elegant!

And it says something about Dalston, that he's looking for more than obedience. That it worries him. Now the next step is to begin to ask why.

The discovery in the woods, and the 'rusty odor', really threw me!

I love this update!

And I think it is so thoughtful of you to provide a schedule, so people are not wondering if something is wrong.

Van said...

Thanks, Beth. Glad you enjoyed :)

Hmmm... I should probably get Lorn and Dalston in a post together at some point...