September 22, 2009

In Which Geneva Traces Engraved Letters

January 24, 1162

Geneva's travels had taught her there were many different places to bury the dead. Some countries laid their late nobility to rest in underground catacombs; others, outside under the sky, like peasants.

The Dovian custom differed slightly. In Geneva's homeland, the nobles were buried on the ground floor of their castle's chapel, as sermons were held on the upper levels. There were windows in these rooms--five in this particular one, it seemed--allowing the sunlight to enter and the grass to grow around and over top of the graves, a macabre garden of stone walls and stained glass.

Medea, Geneva knew, would have been more at ease with the idea of a catacomb; she had always hated grass and sunshine.

However, she found comfort in the fact that, at the very least, Octavius did visit the grave. The candles were alight, Geneva noted, and indicating a recent guest, and a bouquet of pink roses lay at the foot of the obelisk--pink, her favorite color.

The obelisk itself was a bittersweet relief. Medea had been buried as lady of the castle, as she had always wanted; back in Dovia, she would have only had a simple slab, as the daughter of the Earl of Sarona or the daughter-in-law of Lord Felonis. The word 'baroness' had been inscribed as clearly as any other--not so high as she had ever hoped, but if nothing else, it was better than no title at all.

Sighing, Geneva fell to her knees as she reached the grave, shaking her head as she studied the slab of rock that marked the final bed of her dearest friend. "Maybe you should have come with me after all," she muttered under her breath. "I know you hate traveling, but it would have been better than this. Maybe eventually we could have set up a shop or something somewhere, in Normandy or Flanders or some such place... ah, but you would have hated that too. You were born a patron of castles and finery, and perhaps you did truly die one as well.

"I do get the feeling that this may have been my fault... and if so, then I am truly grieved. You were one of the few things in my life not worth losing, and through my own foolishness, it would seem I lost you anyway. What a cruel ultimatum placed upon us by the games of the aristocracy--my happiness, or yours, but never could both coexist. I hope that you can forgive, as I will never be able to forgive myself."

Taking a quick sniff, just to be sure that they were still fresh and sweet, Geneva placed the flowers she had brought atop of Octavius's, then continued to gaze at the name engraved upon the obelisk, her eyes tracing each letter with a precision she had rarely ever found use for in her life.

"I suppose I shall see you in heaven, my friend," she whispered in resignation. Then, as an afterthought, she added, "Oh, who am I kidding? We shall both be burning in hell--but if that is what it takes to see you again, then so be it."

She wanted to cry, but she would force herself otherwise; Medea had always hated tears.

NEXT CHAPTER:

12 comments:

Penelope said...

WAIT- How did she die and how long has she been dead???

It's probably for the best, really. Screw Octavius and Geneva- It's probably for Medea's best.

*snickers* Medea hated grass and sunshine.

Van said...

Medea died in this post, but it wasn't explicitly mentioned. It was just sort of implied.

Dalston confirmed the death here.

I agree with you in that it was probably for the best. To me, Medea always seemed like the sort of person who was just incapable of being happy regardless of anything. Even before she went mad, I do think she was mentally ill to some capacity. Unfortunately, there was no such thing as therapy in those days :(

Penelope said...

That's what happened! I missed the Dalston chapter!

*goes back and reads*


And actually, in that Florian chapter... I kinda thought that Medea had just taken a crap on the floor. But after a quick re-read, it would seem that she could have been doing any number of things.

Van said...

Yeah, I left the Florian chapter somewhat ambiguous on purpose. Plus seeing as it was Florian, he didn't really react to her jumping out the window the way most people would have. Anyone else would have been all "Oh my God! She jumped out the window!", while Florian was just "Oh great, now we have to clean up the remains. Fabulous, there's a few hours of my life I'm never going to see again."

Penelope said...

Florian is a man with a heart made of dead puppies.

Van said...

Heheheheheh

Phoenix said...

Sorry it took me a minute to get here...

So, she's dead? I can't say that I'm sad. Although we did get to see a different side to Geneva huh?

Van said...

No worries, Phoenix :)

Yeah, I think Medea has the potential to continue to play a role in the story as sort of a ghost of Geneva's past. Of course, with Geneva not being a full-time Naroni resident anymore, we probably won't get many glimpses of that.

thewynd said...

I am glad that at least Medea was buried in a manner befitting her past status. Especially for the children. Again I feel bad for Geneva. Guilt is a terrible thing.

Van said...

Yeah, if nothing else, she did get a proper burial.

And yeah, this guilt is going to haunt Geneva for the rest of her life :(

lothere said...

I hope Geneva doesn't blame herself too much. :-( It's not her fault if her friend goes insane, even if her departure sort of triggered it. But so little they knew about mental illness then.

I'm glad she was buried as Baroness. I like the idea of grass growing INSIDE the crypt. That's so crazy it's beautiful.

Van said...

Oh, for sure, Geneva definitely isn't fully at fault here. The gun was always there, and she was just the one who happened to carelessly pull the trigger.

I don't even know why I decided to do the crypts like this. Probably because I couldn't decide between an actual crypt and a graveyard, so I compromised a middle ground. Glad you liked it :)