September 19, 2009

In Which Florian Loses a Dream

January 17, 1162

This was ridiculous. Every day for nearly a month, the baron had marched Florian and whatever guards had drawn the short straws that morning down the dungeon to see if Medea was in any state to be moved--until today, she had not been. If Florian had been the one making the decision, he would have given up after the first week--that is, if he had deemed it worth the effort in the first place.

Personally, he thought it was only fitting that the bitch should be locked up in the most unpleasant and uncomfortable of penitentiaries; the figurative prison cell she had built for her husband had certainly not been any better. The way Florian saw it, she deserved every piece of filth that dungeon contained and more.

But alas, the princess was of a different opinion, and the baron did as the princess wished because she was a pretty young thing whom he fancied--not to mention, he probably felt rather guilty about the whole ordeal. In some ways, he'd probably just been waiting for an excuse to make the switch.

And so here Florian was, standing around for a few minutes' observation as to how the baroness reacted to her new environment. So far, she seemed content to just stand around while muttering inaudible gibberish to herself, but Florian could not help but feel rather uncomfortable in this room, alone with a madwoman, the cowardly guards on the other side of the closed door.

It wasn't long, however, before the muttering ceased and she proceeded to scratch her now-jagged nails across the surface of the mirror by the bed.

"Don't touch that!" Florian snapped. "That belonged to the baron's mother, you know! God, she has daughter-in-laws and granddaughters in their right minds--why didn't her possessions go to them?"

It had been useless to ask; if she had even heard, she could not understand. But soon enough, she did grow tired of the mirror, and turned her claws instead to the stained glass window.

Florian gaped in horror. "Those are expensive, you know--if your husband has to replace those, who knows what will happen to my salary? Dammit, bitch! Must you continue to torment me even when you have no idea which way is up?"

She shot him an angry glare--but not before driving her fist through the window, laughing as the cracks spread and the glass crumbled.

"So much for Thetis's new dress," he grumbled. In hindsight, maybe he should have taken advantage of the open position at the castle following Aldhein's dismissal instead of just lingering around here...

What happened next, however, was truly serious.

Florian had been hoping to perhaps head home early that day--play with the kids, enjoy a nice dinner, make love to his wife, the whole routine--but that plan was now a lost dream. No, apparently the baroness had found the need to inflict upon him one last personal tragedy; thanks to her, he would now probably have to stay late, overseeing the cleanup.

Fantastic. Fan-fucking-tastic.

"Uh... men?" he called the guards in the corridor behind him. "Are you still there? It would seem that we have a bit of a... situation..."

NEXT CHAPTER:

14 comments:

Van said...

I love writing from Florian's POV, but sometimes it makes me think I need therapy.

Anyway, yes, I know that according to my usual updating pattern, it should have been a THIV prompt I got up tonight... but the next THIV prompt has a large, flashy label on it reading "Warning: Author may require ass glue". I ran out of ass glue after IFV Chapter Thirteen, unfortunately--I'm going to go out and see if there are any stores that sell ass glue within walking distance that are still open at quarter to eleven. Basically, the next THIV is one of those prompt words that I couldn't for the life of me fit into the main storyline, so it's in a little subplot that isn't nearly as enjoyable for me than all the 'Rigo and Vinicio-centric drama. END RANT. (And for anyone not reading that story, sorry about this).

And... yeaaaaaaah... I might turn in early tonight. I've been feeling ill today (for the record, it's NOT swine flu. And even if it is... whatever).

Phoenix said...

FLORIAN!!!!!! I ♥ your faces!! I do!!!:P

And is Medea FINALLY dead?!

Hope you feel better Van!!

Van said...

Hooray for the Hula and More Hack! :D

As for whether or not Medea is alive, both the family trees and the character profiles are valid sources. Just sayin' *whistles*

Van said...

And thanks, Phoenix. I think what it is is this weird mossy moldy stuff growing on the wall outside my window. I'm going to speak to housing later today.

Penelope said...

Heh. Yeah well, she's been in that dungeon for how long now? She's used to taking a crap wherever.

I can hardly believe that she's that crazy though. I mean, this IS Medea we're talking about. There was a time when she would have never dreamed of leaving her bedroom with a hair out of place. And she has to still be in there somewhere.

I don't know how Holladrin could know about any of this and not be turned off of Octavius for good.

Penelope said...

*hehe* Also, "swine flu... whatever." :D

It sounds like you're still writing from Florian's perspective.


GENEVA!!!! WTF??? GO CRAWL BACK INTO YOUR LITTLE HIDEY HOLE!!!

Van said...

Hmmm... I don't know. I think her former neatness just goes to show just how far she's gone off the deep end. If she had an semblance of her right mind left, we'd still see that sort of thing from her.

As for Holladrin... personally, if I were in that situation myself, I'd definitely be turned off. But Holladrin... I think she's kind of accepted it. She's got a very "this is my guy, regardless" attitude about Octavius at this point.

Heheh... I'm kind of blase about swine flu. Like, if I was elderly or pregnant, or if I was the parent of a very small child, I'd be worried, but for myself as college-aged, non-pregnant individual with no children, I'm not particularly concerned.

Alas, more Geneva in the next two posts. However, after that, she'll probably disappear again for a while.

thewynd said...

Oh good lord did she jump? I bet she did...I love Florian's PoV as well.

Van said...

Thanks Gayl :)

Well... we'll see.

Verity said...

Did Medea just kill herself. If so good Lord... Florian is a cold bastard isn't he.

He's my favourite character but honestly, he is a bit much when it comes to Medea. I mean, she probably just committed suicide in front of him and all he can think of is cleaning up the mess. Man that's cold. Poor Medea.

Van said...

Oh yeah, Florian is something of a dick. It's just who he is, and I think I mentioned this in the comments at some point, but he needs an outlet for his bastardy, especially now that he's married to Thetis and has (essentially) four kids. He loves them, but he feels he has to inhibit himself at home.

And of course, he and Medea pretty much hated each other from first sight, so she fit the bill quite nicely there.

lothere said...

Bastard. At least Octavius seemed vaguely contrite, in a ball-less way. Florian, my friend, you are not being misanthropic, you are being a depraved sicko. Learn the difference.

And WTF? She's a madwoman so ragingly insane that burly guards are too afraid to touch her for a month, and then Florian feels safe just standing in a room with her with his hands stuffed in his armpits? Is he getting off on this?

And putting a raging madwoman in a room with a glass mirror and glass windows? WTF??? Is EVERYONE in the castle insane? Did their plan for her to club herself to death with a femur fail, so now they're going to see if she'll conveniently off herself with shards?

I do not understand!

Van said...

This whole storyline is wrong on so many levels. I look back at it now and think I must have been on acid when I wrote it, but that makes no sense because as far as I can remember, I've never done acid in my life.

Florian... well, he probably is taking some sick pleasure in this, though not in a sexual way. There is a very odd dynamic there.

As for the rooms where Medea was kept... the first one, Octavius pretty much was just all "Put her wherever, just as long as she can't get to the children". For the second, Holladrin specifically requested Medea's own room, which is this one.

Adie said...

Oh Florian....