July 31, 2009

In Which Laralita Is Made Even More Comfortable

March 30, 1160

It had been a rather taxing day for Queen Laralita of Naroni. She had spent her morning being fitted for various gowns, and had then spent several long hours debating with herself over pieces of jewelry to compliment them. Her afternoon had been spent in the company of her sister and the duchess, who were both pleasant enough, but rather exhausting--and of course, they had brought along their combined three girls to play with Laralita's own stepdaughters and baby. Needless to say, by the time supper had finished, she was feeling quite tired, so she retreated to her bedchamber as early as she possibly could.

Oh, how she loved her new bedchamber! She was now quite familiar with the room that Roderick had shared with Geneva before the scandal--Leara was sleeping there now--and she could not for a minute understand why on earth her husband's first wife had preferred that tiny little closet of a bedroom to these luxurious quarters. Yes, this room was rather empty, she had to admit, but decorating it would prove to be just the sort of challenge Laralita lived for, and of course, she'd already set to it. The wedding gifts had proved a great help in this endeavor; seeing as Roderick and Laralita had each been married once before, the vast majority of their presents had been of a pleasingly aesthetic nature.

And the one they had recieved from Alina and Severin was the finest! It seemed that they loved the statue she had given them so much that they had purchased an identical one for her! Oh, could she ask for a more wonderful sister and brother-in-law?

"A little early to be wearing your nightgown, don't you think?" mused her husband as he stepped into view, a smile on his face. "Not that I'm complaining, of course; it does rather showcase your charms."

"Oh, I was just feeling a little worn," she informed him with a sigh. "Alina and Celina and the girls came for a visit today, and while they are all lovely, they can be rather tiresome."

Roderick nodded in agreement. "Indeed. I spent the day at Armion with Dalston and the men and the boys, and I assure you that I left feeling precisely the same way."

How wonderful it was to have a husband who understood her! Poor Karlspan, of course, had been a good man, as well as her dear friend, but unfortunately, he'd never known this sort of connection she shared with Roderick. If only Karlspan had been more attuned to the important things in life: money, power, jewels, decorations...

"Oh well; we two are alone now," Laralita mused happily. "The nurse said she'd put the children to bed, so it will just be you and I for the remainder of the evening."

Her husband gave a sigh of relief, tossing his head back as he always did--oh, he was so regal when he glanced upwards! "Excellent!"

"Indeed. Now, come and sit with me."

He did as he was told; the king ruled the kingdom, of course, but everyone knew that the queen ruled the king.

"Comfortable, I hope?" he asked her.

Laralita nodded. "Oh yes. Really, Roderick, ever since we got married and I started sleeping in this bed, I've been more comfortable than I've ever been since before giving birth to my older son."

"Really, now?" slurred Roderick, his hand slowly weaving through her hair, his fingers tickling the sensitive skin on the back of her neck--and in just the right spot, she noticed. "Perhaps I can make you even moreso."

"Well, can I really refuse that?" she purred as she allowed him to hold her close. He was right--she was even more comfortable than she had been before.

She smiled contentedly as he pressed his soft lips to her forehead. "Well, you could, I suppose... but I would hope you wouldn't want to."

Pulling herself to his eye level, Laralita giggled. "Oh, Roderick!" she cooed as she leaned in to kiss him. "Believe me, I am not about to refuse anything right now."

NEXT CHAPTER:

7 comments:

Van said...

I solemnly swear that the next post will not be drabble.

Can't make any guarantees about the one after, unfortunately.

Penelope said...

hehehe Laralita is in such denial. "Severin and Alina bought me a sculpture just like the one I bought them!"

heheeheehee

Van said...

The silly girl :)

Phoenix said...

Those two were MADE for each other!!

Van said...

Oh, probably :)

thewynd said...

Those two are a mirror image aren't they? I love the line about how regal Roderick looked! I must say I AM happy that they are happy.

Poor Laralita, all that tedious work. hehe

Van said...

Oh yeah, they're ridiculously compatible. We probably won't see much of them for a while, though--generally, the people who are doing well get to stay in the background for a while.

And yes, she must be exhausted with all this queen stuff :)