July 22, 2009

In Which Florian Is Home

November 19, 1159

What an odd evening it had been, Florian mused as he stepped into the bedroom, treading lightly as to avoid waking Thetis. Never in a hundred years would he have imagined himself in such a position; had someone told him that he would one day find himself in the middle of that sort of situation, he might have thought that they ought to be locked up themselves.

"You're back."

Damn, she was still awake! To think, he could have been as loud and clunky as he pleased--instead, he had been pointlessly silent. Go figure.

"Someone's up past her bedtime," he teased her as he made his way to the dresser and pulled off his tunic.

"Someone was out past his curfew," she retaliated promptly.

Shoving the tunic into the drawer and slamming it shut, Florian shook his head. "I had to help the baron with something. He called for me just as I was about to leave, and unfortunately, the task took considerable effort, and then we both required a drink at the end of it."

Thetis raised an eyebrow. "Oh? Do you mind telling me about it?"

"Do I get a choice?"

"No."

Florian sighed. "All right... the baroness has finally cracked."

"Only just now?" Thetis inquired as Florian lowered himself onto the bed. "You told me months ago that she was mad."

He shrugged. "She was mad--now, she's too mad to function, apparently."

He chanced a quick glance toward his young wife; she frowned. "Could you... elaborate? Please?"

"Well, by the time I got to the nursery, she'd knocked out the baron and was attempting to smother their three-year-old daughter with a pillow."

Silence. Then--

"...I see. What did you do about it?"

"The baron came to after I'd pulled the baroness away from Jeda, and we locked her in the dungeon," he explained, "and by 'we', obviously I mean the two of us and about six guards. That woman is stronger than I ever would have thought--too bad she's fucking psychotic.

"I kind of wish she'd just die. I know it's a cruel thought, but... she's made that man miserable long enough. As long as she's alive, he's stuck with her; I think he deserves to find someone better."

Thetis said nothing, but she nodded for him to continue.

"And the saddest part is... I think he has found someone better, but that bitch is still standing in the way, dungeon or not. Really, someone should put that woman out of her misery--therefore freeing him from his."

He heard a small, feminine sigh from beside him. "Florian..."

"Yes, Thetis?" he asked, shifting his gaze to those flawless eyes.

"No one was hurt, were they?" she whispered softly. "You, the baron, his little girl... all of you are fine?"

Why hadn't he mentioned that before? Naturally, that would have been her concern... not that he would have expected her to be able to tell that at the very least, he was all right, considering the sight of him and everything.

"No, we're all fine," he assured her, taking her in his arms and gently planting a kiss on her cheek. "I mean, the baron and his kids are rather shook up, but no one was seriously injured or anything, unless she's managed to claw her way out of the dungeon or whatever... but he's got her guarded, so it should be fine."

"And you?" pressed Thetis.

Laughing softly, he lowered her to the mattress and kissed her. "I'm home, aren't I?"

NEXT CHAPTER:

12 comments:

Van said...

Well, it's been tough slugging in places, but... well...

Anyway, I have a little present for all of you, for sticking with me for a hundred posts. You might like it, you might not. If you don't, sorry about that :(

Regardless, it can be found here.

Er... if the color scheme there bugs anyone, let me know.

Penelope said...

OMG Amazing! I'm going to read that as soon as I get home tonight. Or potentially on my lunch break.

And awww, Florian. That's about as close to romance as he gets.

I like how he was rambling about, "The baroness should just die. I mean really. She should just die." While Thetis was thinking, "Umm, was anyone hurt?"

Thetis had better be careful- She might make him a better man and THEN where would we be? :p

Penelope said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Penelope said...

Penelope, always good for a double post.

Van said...

Oh, Florian's not going to change much, if at all. Even if he gets some more tact when talking to others, I'm sure chapters with his POV will still contain his rather odd musings :)

Phoenix said...

I read this in the morning without pics because my phone was taking too long to load them and I awwwed over it! Now rereading with the books makes me do a bouble: AWWWWWWW!!! Seriously! I always knew Florian was a big softie...well as soft as he gets!:P And I wish we could have seen the baroness being shoved in the dungeons! She deserves it for sure!

Van said...

Thanks Phoenix :)

Heheh... that would have been a posing nightmare! Actually, maybe not, but I'm waaaay too lazy.

cheripye said...

Utterly enchanting!
Florian is such a bear on the outside but on the inside all mush, LOL! his love for Thetis certainly shines in this one! and of course I must agree, put the woman out of her misery, LOL!

thewynd said...

Florian is such a straightforward curmudgeon isn't he? I agree, if he becomes a better man where will we be?

I am truly enjoying the way Thetis and Florian are growing as a couple. I hope they will be happy for awhile.

Congratulations on 100! I loved the collage! And the new blog!

Van said...

Cheri: Yeah, he's a softie at the heart :) And if I was kinder to my characters, Medea would soooo be dead :)

Gayl: Thanks :) Oh, he shall always be a curmudgeon. I have this far-off dream of Old Man Florian, sitting on a rocker outside his front door, yelling at passerby to stay off his property--he will definitely be staying as he is, until the day he dies.

Emmy said...

One hundred chapters! Oh, my! :O

Medea's finally lost it, huh?

Van said...

I had difficulty believing it myself O_o

Yep, she's totally lost it.