May 16, 2009

In Which Geneva Makes Up Her Mind

October 30, 1157

As loud as he was when he was awake, Ietrin was a surprisingly peaceful sleeper. Rarely did he make a sound after his head touched the pillow, and his movements were minimal. Geneva took this as a good sign--he would not disturb his future wife as they slept.

Leara was the restless one. She'd outgrown her frequent crying in the night, but she was still just as much of a kicker as she had been in the womb. Poor Lorn would wake up black and blue each morning of his adult life. Then again, perhaps she would grow out of it--it really was too early to tell.

And then there was Camaline, who slept with the same untouchable stillness with which she did everything else. If ever her husband retired before her, he would never notice her slip into bed beside him, and if she rose before he did, he might never know she had been there at all. Conversely, should she be the first to bed, there was no doubt that he would become so afraid to wake her that he would seek accommodation elsewhere.

Oh, but what was she doing with these children? As much as she loved them, she couldn't help but feel as though they were better off without her. Their nurse, she was sure, was a much more capable mother-figure than she was, she who could not sit still for a moment and easily tired of all things baby. And she was so trapped, so miserable--what if her misery rubbed off on her daughters? Perhaps they could at least give their future marriages a chance if they were not exposed to her influence, the restless resignation of a woman caged.

No, she did not want that for them--they would not know her suffering. And she would do everything in her power to make sure of it.

NEXT CHAPTER:

15 comments:

Van said...

And so ends the shortest post to date (and I've been saying that waaaaaaay too much lately). I have a bit of writer's block--it was difficult coughing up even this bit of drabble :(

Also, I would like to apologize in advance for the absolutely disgusting lighting (or lack of therefore) in the next post. Always looks so much better in the game... *sigh*

Penelope said...

WHAT?!? She's running away??? THAT SELFISH HO-BAG! I hope she gets eaten by naked forest dwellers!!!

And the preview pic intrigues me.

Van said...

Funny that you should mention getting eaten by naked forest dwellers. That's not going to be Geneva's fate (at least, as things stand now), but maybe hold onto that thought when the later part of 1158 rolls around.

How much of the preview pick can you make out on your machine? I can just barely distinguish the pair of boots from the bedding on this one, particularly at the points further from the candles.

Penelope said...

Oh I can see boots, leggings, a blonde head that looks like Hilda...

Van said...

That's good, you can see all the important things.

Phoenix said...

Good, she's leaving! May we never see her skanky face again!

Hmm...I can't make out anything in the preview pic...than again I'm on the work computer so that's not saying much!

Van said...

We'll probably see her again, but... less frequently, for sure. But I kind of like the idea of having a wild-card type character that I can pull into the story when otherwise stumped.

Daaaaaaaamn. Why did I make that particular castle without any windows again? *head hits wall*

Phoenix said...

I see it now!:) I'm at home! LOL!

Van said...

YAY :D

Penelope said...

Where is Geneva going exactly? She's a queen! She can't just disappear.

Van said...

That shall be revealed in the next chapter, which I will write as soon as I stop puking my guts out :(

Penelope said...

Yikes! Hope you feel better, Van!

Van said...

Thanks :)

I'm feeling a little better now, but this afternoon I honestly thought I was going to die.

Phoenix said...

Ugh!! Glad to hear you're feeling better Van!:D

Van said...

Thanks, Phoenix :)