April 3, 2009

In Which Laveria Declares Falidor Universally Henpecked

January 20, 1157

"So, now that my son has two babies lying around--and not to mention, you fell for the oldest trick in the book--are you inspired to have any little ones of your own any time soon?" Laveria pried as she gently patted her young grandson's back. She felt somewhat guilty annoying Falidor with her stinging questions, but she couldn't deny that it was fun to make him squirm.

Besides, it wasn't as if he would ask her to stop; just as she figured he would, he merely shrugged. "I don't know. Maybe now that I've got my own house now--er, our own house, I mean. Ailede and I... don't do things very often. Occasionally, but not more than anyone else, if you know what I mean."

"So you're not getting much?" she teased him. "Cry me a river, honey. On the other hand, at least your sister got you a very nice house for your troubles. How in God's name did that girl get to be as bold as she is growing up with a doormat like you?"

"No idea," admitted Falidor as he pushed back his chair and stood. "Anyway, my favorite girl looks lonely down there; I'm going to play with her."

"Faldor!" Raia exclaimed happily as he joined her on the floor and picked up a stray doll. "You walk deck."


Seeing Falidor obey, Laveria chuckled appreciatively. "See what I mean? Even the one-year-old rules over you with an iron fist; maybe you should consider growing a backbone."

"And maybe you should consider getting married," the boy retaliated. "People are talking about you, you know. They all think you're a pagan whore, and they only put up with you because you're Lord Severin's mother."

She rolled her eyes; she was so used to this sort of treatment that it no longer bothered her. "Well, that's their problem, because I don't give a damn either way. Besides, I've been married; it's highly overrated."

"Amen to that," Falidor laughed.

Suddenly, the door burst open, revealing the large, bearded form of Goodman Diarn.

"Laveria!" he gasped, trying desperately to catch his breath. "Thank God you're here! You weren't at your house, and then the carpenter next door said you were off visiting, and--"

"Hold your horses, Halford!" she snapped. "If this is an emergency, you're better off not explaining how you found me and just telling me where to go and how quickly I should run."

Still shaking, Halford's blue eyes met her own brown ones; whatever this was, it was certainly more than a cold or a splinter. "Florian's house--and hurry!"

NEXT CHAPTER:

11 comments:

Phoenix said...

LOL!! I like Falidor just the way he is! Although he DID fall for the oldest trick in the book!

Van said...

I like Falidor the way he is too. I just need to get him together with someone who can have him whipped in a good way.

Phoenix said...

Thetis!!! I mean they would be SOOO good together! Both of them need someone who is gentle and Thetis has enough common sense for the both of them! I mean, if you were taking a poll you'd know where my vote lays!:P

Van said...

Hmmm... I don't know. Thetis does have common sense, but Falidor needs someone with more get-go than Thetis has, I think. Like, if Nora wasn't his sister, she'd be perfect for him. Even a much younger Laveria might be the sort of woman Falidor needs.

Penelope said...

Where did this chapter take place? Is that Falidor's house?

Phoenix said...

I think if push came to shove Thetis could be like Nora. It's just that Thetis has been the one to be shoved her whole life. Who knows how she'd acted if she was released from her prison...I mean her marriage!

Van said...

Pen: Yep, that's Falidor's new house. Unfortunately, I made the stupid mistake of building it on a slope, so I couldn't get great camera angles, or at least not for close shots. Ailede was upstairs, doing nothing so I could have her selected while taking pictures and not have any little action thingies in the corner.

Phoenix: Hmmm... maybe in dire circumstances, but all and all, after what she's been through, I don't think Thetis would feel good about pushing other people around. I think Thetis needs someone who treats her well and lets her do as she pleases--not to mention, loves her to death--but still can take control when things get out of hand. I can't see Falidor doing that, to be honest. Sorry :(

So yeah... I'm really not sure how well Falidor and Thetis would work. But who knows? Maybe they'll have some mutual grandchildren or something.

lothere said...

I thought it must have been Severin's castle in this chapter. So does that mean Laveria just... hangs out with Falidor, or what? :-D

Van said...

Oh yeah, they hang out. They're one of those pairs of friends that are constantly mean to each other (of course, Laveria's fairly huffy with most people anyway), but share a sort of grudging fondness.

cheripye said...

Ok I am still up in arms, Falidor definately needs someone gentle and kind... Blah... Blah... Blah... LOL! But Thetis and Florian would be so wonderful together as well... Just what the other needs too, but most importantly LOL! Halidor, I hope I got that right! he has the perfect facial expressions and I love how he just bursts into the rooms stammering and sputtering. 80)

Van said...

When in doubt, send in Halford :D

That is the motto I live by :)