April 23, 2009

In Which Falidor Figures It Out

March 25, 1157

Falidor had been a married man for all of three months, two weeks, and one day--not that he was counting, of course--and yet, he still could not claim to know his wife in anything other than the biblical sense. As he stared into the dying embers of the fire, he tried to list all of the things he knew about her, and found himself struggling considerably.

She was the second of five surviving children, and the fourth of ten altogether. Her birthday was the twenty-seventh of May, but he only remembered it because it was exactly a week after Thetis's; he wondered whether or not Ailede knew when his birthday was. She hated the smell of flowers, the songs of birds, the touch of spring grass on her bare feet...

"So are you planning on making yourself at all useful today, or aren't you?" Ailede suddenly demanded of him from the bed.

Sighing, he pulled himself to his feet, one eyelid suddenly rather heavy; either he was more annoyed with her than he thought he was, or he was regaining his childhood lazy eye. A part of him wanted to point out to her that she wasn't doing anything at that moment either--and really, hadn't done anything since they'd moved into their own house--but he didn't want to upset her. When Ailede was upset, she screamed like a banshee, and, quite frankly, Falidor could do without the resulting headache.

"Ailede, it's my day off," he insisted.

Ailede rolled her eyes. "It's always your day off. Maybe you should work more and make us some more money."

"I make more money than your father does," Falidor reminded her, "if you couldn't tell by the fact that this house is so much nicer than his."

She scowled at him; he'd never found her to be particularly pretty, but the occasional, sincere smile would have certainly helped. "Maybe I would have taken that into consideration if the house hadn't been a wedding gift from his lordship--and if he hadn't only given it to you because your sister asked him to."

"True, but I still make more than your father does."

"You could make even more if you worked more," she pressed once more.

He was tempted to tell her that he could get away from her if he worked more, but he then decided against that; he didn't want any trouble.

"So... is that a new dress?" asked Falidor, making an attempt at a pleasant conversation as he set himself down on the bed beside her.

"Yes," Ailede replied. "I bought it in the village last week. I hate it."

He compensated for his drooping eyelid by raising his brow. "Then why did you buy it?"

"Because it was the most expensive one in the shop, of course!" she sighed, as if it were the most obvious answer to any question ever asked. "If you can afford the most expensive thing in a shop, you buy it, regardless of whether or not you like it."

Falidor frowned; she didn't seem to understand that he was the one who had to work for that money. "Or you could save the money and buy something even more expensive in the future."

This seemed to spark her interest.

"Oh?" she cooed, a rare enthusiasm in her voice. "What sort of thing are you thinking of?"

Falidor groaned inwardly. "I don't know, something. Ailede, I can deal with the fact that you tricked me into marrying you, but I'd appreciate it if you didn't throw my money away by buying things you don't even want."

"All the more incentive for you to make more, don't you think?"

He'd tried to like her--he really had--but she was just so damn unlikeable. Oh well; he was stuck with her now, and all he could do was chastise himself for being an idiot. Maybe he would get lucky; maybe God would pity him and strike him with a bolt of lightning or something.

"We also could have had more money if you'd gotten yourself over to see Lady Alina about that maid's job before Nora did," he pointed out to her.

Ailede frowned. "She needs it more. Besides, it won't be long before I can't work anyway."

What in the hell was she talking about? She was young, healthy, and perfectly capable of holding a job. Well... she'd been a little sick, maybe, but it was only the occasional bout of nausea. And she'd put on a little weight, but surely by actually forcing herself to go out and help him earn some money, she could easily lose it. And the odd eating habits of late... well, that was probably just her trying to annoy him.

Either way, she was still certainly an employable young woman.

Clearly exasperated, she stood. "Figure it out, genius; figure it out."

And so she strolled out the door and left him to his own devices. For this, he was grateful; it was much easier to think when she was out of the room, and...

Oh dear good God.

NEXT CHAPTER:

12 comments:

Van said...

Daaaaaamn, I'm out of pictures :(

I'll have to take some for all three of my blogs tomorrow... *sigh*... why do I always do this? *head hits desk*

Phoenix said...

LOL!! That last pic for this chapter is classic!! Oh man!! I can't imagine Ailede as a mother...much less a GOOD mother! Maybe she'll die in childbirth! Oh gosh! I can't believe I just said that! LOL! But she's so unlikeable!

Haha! Now I'm a head with my pics Van! I have to take so more for RG but everything else is already pictured a few chapters ahead! I'm usually in your current position!:P

Van said...

I can just see it now... "Falidor, change his diaper." "Okay." "Falidor, give him a bath." "Okay." "Falidor, feed him." "But I don't have--" "So...?"

There's a certain satisfaction to being ahead with pics, but I find if I have a lot of future pictures lying around, I get too excited about those chapters and not excited enough about the ones that I have to get done. I normally do about one chapter in advance so I have a preview picture (so I guess I technically do have the next pics, just not the next preview pics), but normally as soon as I finish a chapter for any given story, I'll fire up the game and take the pictures of the next chapter for that story. Totally did not do that this round :(

eclectictsunami said...

Haha, oh Falidor. Poor Falidor.

Also this: And yet, he still could not claim to know his wife in anything other than the biblical sense.

Made me LOL. I love your dry sense of humor, Van.

Van said...

Heheheh... thanks, Cassie :)

Penelope said...

OMG, the facial expression! Bwahahahaha!!!

Dayna said...

:( Poor Falidor. I love him so.

Van said...

Pen: That was the work of the lovely modeling hack you told me about some time ago. It's proved to be indispensable :)

Dayna: From what I've got lined up for Falidor's relatively near future... he's not going to be a very happy person, unfortunately. However, I imagine any children he has will bring him joy. He's got some growing up to do, but he's going to be a great daddy :D

It's good to see that Falidor has fans. When I first introduced him, I wasn't really sure how people would react to him, but it seems he's decently popular :)

Penelope said...

Oh yeah, well he's a nice guy with a touch of the hapless. It's a likable combination of characteristics. hehe Oh Falidor!

Ah! Well if you enjoyed that modeling hack, perhaps this new tutorial will be of some use to you:

Posing Without PoseboxesVeron's poses are consistently brilliant. She does not take no for an answer when a sim does not seem to want to do something! The tutorial gives a pretty comprehensive list of hacks and many ideas on how to manipulate them.

Van said...

Ooooooh, a tutorial! Thanks! :D *scurries off to read*

cheripye said...

Oh Yuck! Ailede is such a disgusting wretched girl!!! Falidor needs someone better and that last screen utterly perfect! I think I would have run screaming from her the moment it sank in, but then that poor child would be raised by her or worse her family if she didnt make it.

Van said...

We see that with Falidor in the future too--whatever crap Ailede throws his way, he just takes it for the children's sake. Oh, but I'm getting ahead of myself...